KONY 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vevcom

KONY 2012 was definitely well made video. It appealed to the emotional side of man. However it got 70,000,000 views in 5 days and was all over the news and social sites. 1 million, maybe 10 million, views understandable, but 70 million? On such an issue (and length of video), its hard to see how so many people will be interested. Pop star are one hing, they already have a following, and twitter pages, so it makes one wonder how KONY 2012 out of the blue will get that many.
Interested in your opinions.

The whole thing's fishy, alot of people think Kony's dead. Alot of people say "if the american people go in to kill Kony aren't his child soldiers going to be the ones fighting to protect him?" Invisible children is very sketchy with their money, the whole thing is just not adding up. But I say go ahead and keep spreading the information without donating to the charity. The more people that know the more chance we have of getting down to the truth. And Pixie Blossom sent me the link of a reputable charity that helps children in Uganda, so why not let the Kony 2012 video inspire us to do something for the tons of problems children face in Africa whether or not Kony is one of them? Be it real, be it fake, there ARE children suffering horrible attrocities over there and we DO need to be more aware and more passionate about doing something to help.

I concur with you. It is very fishy. Facts show Kony hasn't been seen there for over 6 years. And personally, i have never been a fan of charities. Sometimes its hard to find reputable ones. If it was possible, i would personally go, buy things myself, and deliver. That way i could be sure they are getting my support, and i wouldn't just be lining someone's pocket.

Your probably going to get TONS of responces about how KONY 12 is a hoax, or suspected to be, or Invisible Children is a shady organization, but thats not really what you asking about here so lets skip that.

I dont think its sketchy at all that this video got so many views so quickly. The way this spread is called "slacktivism" and to some extent, most of us can be guilty of this. People want to help when they hear about these sorts of things. The video is incredibly well put together in a way to tug at your heartstrings. Donations to charities usually happen right after someone watches such a video. When we are in a emotional state we are more likely to want to do something. That said, most people are still inherently lazy. We want to feel like we are helping, but we dont want to actually do anything. Clicking "share" on a video is simple, takes less then a second, dosnt require any effort, but makes people feel like they have contributed to helping. And this is NOT a bad thing at all because like symphonious said, getting the word out there and raising awareness is a great thing and SHOULD happen, and I love that in this day and age such things can spread like wildfire through the power of the Internet. So "slacktivism" isnt nessisarily a bad thing, but it is certainly fascinating from a psychological perspective.

TL;DR, it dosnt suprise me that KONY 2012 got so many views, because people like to help and we have the Internet.

Wow.... Pixie you really.. just... ok I'm not gonna give you another sappy comment I do that too much, just, well said. Ok I'll just leave it at that, well said. You are one intelligent girl.

@pixie blossom
Well you have a different view. Good , because i have learnt something new :). I have never heard the term "slacktivism". I never thought about that, but yeah, people truly might click share so that they feel they are helping. I guess it also means people click share if they believe the video's message. That will surprise me - the video might be powerful, but it has gaping holes.

@pixie blossom
Well you have a different view. Good , because i have learnt something new :). I have never heard the term "slacktivism". I never thought about that, but yeah, people truly might click share so that they feel they are helping. I guess it also means people click share if they believe the video's message. That will surprise me - the video might be powerful, but it has gaping holes.
Are you saying these holes are obvious within the context of JUST the video? Because while I was watching the video the whole thing seemed to make absolute perfect logical sense, I could see no way on earth it wasn't entirely true. I had to listen to outside perspectives and hear other opinions before I could start seeing the holes, the video itself had me hook line and sinker.

@symphonious7
NO way the holes are obvious with the video )). Probably just me, but as i said earlier, i am already skeptical whenever such a video is produced. I also know a few things about that region. There have been videos on Somalia, India, you name it, and they are not always right. Therefore, i assume most people would review any information they get. Of course as pixieblossom said, the emotional might just take over immediately and make people share. I would try and do a little research first.
At the end of they day, some charities are working hard, I know one in eastern europe, unfortunately others are not as transparent.

Well, I may have jumped the gun a little, but I'm not upset about the reaction I had or the video I made. There's something to be learned from it regardless. And as far as why it spread so fast, Pixie blew my mind with her response on that one, I think she is completely correct.

My thoughts regarding the whole kony video are explained in this meme

tumblr_m0jr10sLv41qbumrto1_400.jpg

I just don't understand how blind and brainwashed a video can make us seem to be. When honestly such a thing is happening all over the world and not just in Uganda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back