Killing Your Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

TryHardProductions

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Alright so it's no secret that killing your channel is one of the easiest things to do on YT. With the way YT works it's sometimes hard to even get your channel to be alive anymore. Smaller YouTubers seem to kill their channels all the time. I'm here to tell you that subscriber counts and view counts mean nothing. I'm here to tell you that the likes do not matter as well. What matters is YOU. It's called YOUtube for a reason It's easy to compare yourself to so many content creators. It's easy to compare and wish that you have what they have. I can understand that. However, you do that too much and soon it becomes so demoralizing. You lose motivation. You start uploading less frequently. Or you upload just as frequent, but it's rushed and obvious that you did not put hard work into that video. I've killed my channel multiple times. I've returned from it many times, but it's, excuse my language, an absolute b***h to try and return from. My channel was doing so well at one point, then I lost all interest. I started live streaming and was gaining so many subs. I was getting 40+ viewers a stream. Getting 200+ views a video. I was finally getting something from the hard work. Then along the way subs became slightly inactive, but it wasn't so bad. However, I made it seem worse than it actually was. I made it seem like I was losing everything. I was once again comparing myself to everyone's success. I was worrying so much about numbers that I forgot why I started doing YT in the first place. I did it because I wanted to create content that I and everyone else could enjoy. Now I sit here with 7k subs and barely anyone to truly notice my videos. If I had kept it up I believe things would be different.

I urge you to not make the mistakes I made. There is always going to be someone doing better than you. Do not compare yourself to them. It strips you away of your motivation. It ruins you. I know it did that for me. DO NOT worry about what the sub count, view count, and like count says right now. Don't worry if it's low. Don't worry if the ratio is off when comparing subs to views. Don't worry if a certain video gets less views than the other. It sounds so simple, but trust me I bet you are doing it right now without actually noticing it. I don't want to see anyone else kill their channel like I did many times. It isn't worth it. With the problems YT has right now, it's nearly impossible for smaller people to return from it.

Just take your time. Your time will come. You will get your chance. Nearly ANYONE can get big on YT. Anyone can. Does not mean everyone will. There are many reasons why everyone won't. Usually it is the fault of the content creator in all honest. However, the way YT works doesn't help either.

This doesn't mean that you should stop. Not at all.

As Casey Neistat said.... Just Keep Uploading.

Anticlimacus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Very good write-up and I totally agree. But it's very easy to fall into this psychological trap. I've been posting videos on YouTube for 1 year now, and at times I've felt this frustration despite the fact that I did a lot of research on YouTubing before I started my channel. Almost every single "advice" video or article that I read stated that I should NOT start my channel with the expectations for high subscriber or view counts. So I went in with this mindset, but still found myself disappointed in the amount of views and subscribers on my videos because I was comparing myself with other YouTubers.

Thankfully, I do enjoy posting my videos and I intend to continue this into the foreseeable future, but your advice is definitely important for everyone to keep in mind.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Alright so it's no secret that killing your channel is one of the easiest things to do on YT. With the way YT works it's sometimes hard to even get your channel to be alive anymore. Smaller YouTubers seem to kill their channels all the time. I'm here to tell you that subscriber counts and view counts mean nothing. I'm here to tell you that the likes do not matter as well. What matters is YOU. It's called YOUtube for a reason It's easy to compare yourself to so many content creators. It's easy to compare and wish that you have what they have. I can understand that. However, you do that too much and soon it becomes so demoralizing. You lose motivation. You start uploading less frequently. Or you upload just as frequent, but it's rushed and obvious that you did not put hard work into that video. I've killed my channel multiple times. I've returned from it many times, but it's, excuse my language, an absolute b***h to try and return from. My channel was doing so well at one point, then I lost all interest. I started live streaming and was gaining so many subs. I was getting 40+ viewers a stream. Getting 200+ views a video. I was finally getting something from the hard work. Then along the way subs became slightly inactive, but it wasn't so bad. However, I made it seem worse than it actually was. I made it seem like I was losing everything. I was once again comparing myself to everyone's success. I was worrying so much about numbers that I forgot why I started doing YT in the first place. I did it because I wanted to create content that I and everyone else could enjoy. Now I sit here with 7k subs and barely anyone to truly notice my videos. If I had kept it up I believe things would be different.

I urge you to not make the mistakes I made. There is always going to be someone doing better than you. Do not compare yourself to them. It strips you away of your motivation. It ruins you. I know it did that for me. DO NOT worry about what the sub count, view count, and like count says right now. Don't worry if it's low. Don't worry if the ratio is off when comparing subs to views. Don't worry if a certain video gets less views than the other. It sounds so simple, but trust me I bet you are doing it right now without actually noticing it. I don't want to see anyone else kill their channel like I did many times. It isn't worth it. With the problems YT has right now, it's nearly impossible for smaller people to return from it.

Just take your time. Your time will come. You will get your chance. Nearly ANYONE can get big on YT. Anyone can. Does not mean everyone will. There are many reasons why everyone won't. Usually it is the fault of the content creator in all honest. However, the way YT works doesn't help either.

Thank you for this!

My views have been going down each day. I was at 1,400 per views per hour at one point, not it's down to 200.. I do love creating videos and will continue to do so each day ;)

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It really depends on your personality and many other factors, but I love comparing my channel to my competitors. I think of it more of a rivalry. The trick to comparison so it doesn't depress you is to only compare your channels to others that you can realistically chase given your current growth. Find channels who are ahead of you growing in different speed, but if they become unchasable, then you can choose another channel. Similarly, if you surpass a channel you were chasing, you can find another.

If you really wanna grow fast, you gotta push yourself. At the same time, take care of your mind. Watch motivational videos and ask yourself daily what your reasons for making a channel are.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I NEEDED THIS! This is extremely motivating and something I think a lot of smaller YouTubers should read at the beginning of this new year. Its so easy to get caught up to comparing yourself and this was a good reminder that we all have to start somewhere.

Envision Adventure

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Completely agree. Something I need to remind myself, it's just not about the numbers. The content you create is what's really important.

kingdombunniez

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is actually very motivating and you make some good points. I needed that :D

MasterEth

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

Thanks for this post! You know, as a small content creator on YouTube, it's becoming harder and harder to become a "success" on YouTube. However, people say this because they don't think they have enough subs/views/watchtime/comments/likes etc. on their channel. For me, I do YouTube because it's fun for me. I also do it to hopefully entertain other people. If I don't become "famous", fair enough. All of these other youtubers who have crazy amounts of subs are just getting bigger and bigger, again, making it more difficult for us.

I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense.

I also agree with the "don't compare yourself to others" which is so true. It's not good for you to envy what other people have.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
Comparing yourself to others will definetely get you down.
It has happened to me sooo often! But I think I just need to stop watching/following those channels, and just do my own thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.