Keemstar's advice for becoming a YouTuber.....

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm 100% in agreement with everything he said.
It is soooo competitive right now. You have to have SOMETHING that gets you a jump on the game. Some sort of talent. Some outside YouTube notoriety. Something that makes YOU and/or your channel unique and/or attractive, especially to a large audience.

Be a savage! Grind all day, work for yourself! Grind from sun up to sun down. Of course, most still won't make it but somebody won't quit and will succeed!

It's no different than the music industry. Acting. ANY profession. Everybody can't be at the top.

Reactions: Crown

odabaco

I've Got It
Reaction score
The thing is : you post stuff on YouTube, you're a Youtuber. BUT most people's actual definition of what a Youtuber is, is to make a healthy (or unhealthy!) amount of money from posting videos, and /or gain fame or notoriety. So it depends what you are doing it for. If you have a hobby or an opinion, and you are motivated to upload about that, and don't really care whether you make money from it, then his opinion counts for nothing, because your critical success factor has been met. If however you are wanting to make a ton of cash from Youtube, then he is probably right. I would argue that he is actually wrong RIGHT NOW, but will become right in the future though, because the actual truth is that 99% of the people you know and interact with daily are not actually trying to be a Youtuber. Yet... ;)

Reactions: daniel burgio

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Wowzers, that was a bit...colorful... :eek:

I think anyone can "make videos," but not everyone is cut out to "be a youtuber." They're really different things. You need to be willing to read and learn and analyze to make it in the YouTube world -- and all of that needs to be balanced with "real world" stuff, like a full-time job.

A lot of people don't have the patience to become a YouTuber, so in a way, I kind of agree with parts of what he says...But it's not impossible. YouTubers just have to read and learn a lot more about how it works than most viewers realize.

Russ

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Nah. he's just scared of being dethroned and doesn't want to let others take his popularity, he's a selfish m*****f*cker.

Last edited:

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Harsh words but probably true. It will be near impossible for any new person to be the next big thing (1m+subs). But I reckon there is still a 0.01% chance.
Are you the 0.01% chance?

Krow

I've Got It
Reaction score
Keemstar is an old school well known troll and idiot. And he's obviously a very bitter human being that feels threatened by the fact that so many people are trying to do what he does.

"YOU STAND NO CHANCE"

Really? So you're basically saying that nobody should even try? They stand no chance, so there should be no more new youtubers in the future? How do you justify all the new youtubers that do have success? Maybe they would have no success if they just listened to what you say. They would assume they have no chance.

Now, it's true that it is very difficult out there. Most people won't be successful. But here's the thing: most people are just offering more of the same, and most times in lower quality than what already exists. Most will fail. But at the end of the day, that's up to them to find out.

Reactions: Russ

Mikes

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
YouTube's definitely saturated with content and creators. I just see it as more unpredictable, which is why I disagree with the whole "You don't stand a chance" thing. I'm sure we've all seen types of content become popular that we never expected to be, let alone knew existed. YouTube was still bustling with tons of content two years ago, and there have been new rising creators since then.

We know the average YouTuber doesn't get super popular. I just wouldn't be the person to discourage an individual, because you don't know where the individual will end up.

I can understand people taking issue with his response. Sounds like he's trying to be discouraging and mean-spirited for the sake of it. I mean, seriously:
Keemstar said:
"The fact you’re even asking me for advice proves the fact you don't know WTF you're doing and you're not going to know what you're doing."
That's quite a bit to take from someone asking a harmless and innocent question.

Besides, I also find the whole "The only people who make it are savages" thing to be disagreeable. It seems like he underestimates how inconsistent fame on YouTube can be. The work that many put in to their channels can really vary. A person can just record themselves with a potato-quality camera when they're bored and actually become popular, and that's the interesting thing about YouTube. It's just unpredictable and not exactly set to any consistent standards.