Just How Do I Efficiently Write, Script, an Edit Videos?

Noitartst

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
My Last one, which I did this week, took circa eight hours all told, me reckons. In it, I didn't customize a thumbnail, and unlike previous ones, I never inserted images, and didn't do a lot of repeated takes, but I was still pretty time consuming. Partly, I wish I could just stare at the camera, and ramble, but I don't seem to be very good at it.

What can I do? Also, can I put up some notes by the camera from a distance and read from them, like a teleprompter? This needs to get easier, or at least to something of a wash, rinse, repeat, point, to where I will know how much time it will take to make a video of a certain level of quality.

Reactions: Time Jacker

Dino

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Try to get a routine going. Know what you need to do before you do it. Eventually, it becomes second nature.

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Exactly what Dino said, get a routine going, (tip create a template layout for sony vegas - or whatever video editor you use)

Mr Danny

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I say you should just keep doing it the way you're doing, and eventually you'll get to the point you are so used to it that you'll do it a lot faster. Good luck! :)

DCubed

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Practice makes perfect. Also, try a few need things in the editing process and see what works faster. I've had to make videos in different formats to save time on the rendering and uploading part.

Time Jacker

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
My Last one, which I did this week, took circa eight hours all told, me reckons. In it, I didn't customize a thumbnail, and unlike previous ones, I never inserted images, and didn't do a lot of repeated takes, but I was still pretty time consuming. Partly, I wish I could just stare at the camera, and ramble, but I don't seem to be very good at it.

What can I do? Also, can I put up some notes by the camera from a distance and read from them, like a teleprompter? This needs to get easier, or at least to something of a wash, rinse, repeat, point, to where I will know how much time it will take to make a video of a certain level of quality.
Yep - videos certainly do take longer than most other mediums to create with. It's not like putting out a Tweet etc.

There are only so many things you can do to help with this. Some examples:

- Shorter videos
- Different format videos
- Practise

In reality, you'll be pulling a combination of those levers, and more. There's no way to make it ultra quick - after all, video creation takes time if you want quality output - but over time, as you become more proficient and tweak your approach, you'll definitely speed up.

Noitartst

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I say you should just keep doing it the way you're doing, and eventually you'll get to the point you are so used to it that you'll do it a lot faster. Good luck! :)
Well, I'm really trying just to pace myself, at this point.

Practice makes perfect. Also, try a few need things in the editing process and see what works faster. I've had to make videos in different formats to save time on the rendering and uploading part.
"Need" things...?

Exactly what Dino said, get a routine going, (tip create a template layout for sony vegas - or whatever video editor you use)
"Template layout for sony vegas"?

Yep - videos certainly do take longer than most other mediums to create with. It's not like putting out a Tweet etc.

There are only so many things you can do to help with this. Some examples:

- Shorter videos
- Different format videos
- Practise

In reality, you'll be pulling a combination of those levers, and more. There's no way to make it ultra quick - after all, video creation takes time if you want quality output - but over time, as you become more proficient and tweak your approach, you'll definitely speed up.
Hm. I'n my last video, then, I was experimenting in format, vs. my other videos. Above all, I'm just trying to gauge the time to make a video. I'f you can see my channel, and I think you can, views seem to have dropped off from previous videos. I can see why, though, and think just putting out new content should assuage most of it.

Hm...maybe, you can't see my channel. In the link to my posts, it goes to a blank page. I'd just insert the link to my latest video, but seem unable to do that, too.

Last edited:

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I meant create your personalised branded video design, (i.e facecame in bottom corner) intro, and scene transitions, all in a template and prefixed so you don't have to worry about sorting out the layout when it comes to editing your videos bro :)

binky VS bunson

LoL Guys
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hahahaha, I spend way more time on one video than 8 hours, I envy you good sir...... Good videos take time, if you can just pump them out, odds are the quality will suffer ..... ... the only way you're going to get faster is practice and get a rhythm and getting some keyboard shortcuts down for editing

projectorgaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What sort of videos are you posting? I dont' spend anywhere near 8 hours per video, but I do mostly game walkthroughs. It can take longer if I die during a part I don't want in the video but otherwise it goes fairly quick. I spend most of my time doing tags, and stuff like that on youtube. If most of your problem is "public speaking" just work on that constantly. It may seem silly but as your driving down the road pretend your narrating something. Can be made up, real or whatever. Just practice speaking in your head or out loud. I've taken a few speech classes but as long as you know the material you want to cover, just make a note card or something with key points to make sure you hit everything.