Just copped myself a Canon PSG7XMarkii

Mullisnax

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So I just copped myself a PowerShot G7X Mark ii and am in need of some tips/tricks for a first-time user. Also, if there are any specific accessories I should grab now for starting out please let me know.

Can't wait to get some content out now!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have a Mark II as well :) Number one thing that is really annoying about it, is the autofocus. However, you can help it along by registering your face on the camera. Go to menu -> 2 ->Face ID settings. Turn the Face ID on and then Add to registry. This will help you camera find your face during vlogging.
When you are not vlogging and filming from a stationary position, it's a good idea to activate the Auto Focu Lock (AFL), so it will stop searching for faces in the background. This gives the video a cleaner look, because the focus of the background won't shift.
Lastly, download the Canon app. This gives you direct access to your photos and videos via the WiFi connection of you camera, plus you can operate your camera remotely by your phone:)

Reactions: Mullisnax

Mullisnax

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have a Mark II as well :) Number one thing that is really annoying about it, is the autofocus. However, you can help it along by registering your face on the camera. Go to menu -> 2 ->Face ID settings. Turn the Face ID on and then Add to registry. This will help you camera find your face during vlogging.
When you are not vlogging and filming from a stationary position, it's a good idea to activate the Auto Focu Lock (AFL), so it will stop searching for faces in the background. This gives the video a cleaner look, because the focus of the background won't shift.
Lastly, download the Canon app. This gives you direct access to your photos and videos via the WiFi connection of you camera, plus you can operate your camera remotely by your phone:)
Thank you! I'll definitely get that done now [emoji3]

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
How much was it? My foolish self didn't do any research on my Canon and just went with a 700 dollar one thinking it would be at the quality I wanted lol. It's definitely not, but I still like it. My Sony Handycam is actually better resolution-wise. I have an eos rebel t6.

Reactions: Mullisnax

Mullisnax

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
How much was it? My foolish self didn't do any research on my Canon and just went with a 700 dollar one thinking it would be at the quality I wanted lol. It's definitely not, but I still like it. My Sony Handycam is actually better resolution-wise. I have an eos rebel t6.
Got it for $350, but it was from a second-hand shop. Made sure everything worked and nothing was wrong with it before buying it. Everything was in tip top shape!

Several months back I had the Rebel T6i but I just didn't like the bulkiness of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: daniel burgio

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If there is a t6 available from a dissapointed owner I would be glad to have it! :) :p

First it is the glass used and secondly it needs some study before usage. I dunno for Youtube videos but still in 2019 I have a much much older no AF t3i as second body. It serves well in good lit situations.

All devices need some first usage research, menu and abilities tests before using, tips and tricks are cool but one will never learn and have full control over the camera :)

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've messed with the settings a fair amount. Exposure, resolution and whatnot. I use studio lights too to try and get as much light to improve the quality as well. It takes great pictures, but the video always appears to be kind of fuzzy.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
There is no rule of thumb, it depends from the lens to the light amount and direction as long as the light source itself and also in settings. Bigger smaller aperture, ISO and shutter speed. In manual mode you have just three settings. Iso as lower as possible, shutter speed as close to 50/60 depending if shooting 24/30fps and aperture at your will if you need blurred or clear background. Then you can play with picture modes (profiles) but first try your lights. Direct, bounced, full or half power etc. There is the usual three point light guide / rule but does not apply always as long as it does require some distance between the camera the object/talent and the background. No idea on auto focus settings as long as I always do manual focus :)

Reactions: daniel burgio

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for the advice! I had my iso on auto for some reason, so I've turned it down. I keep the ISO at 60, which is the lowest it lets me go. I saw a video recommending using neutral picture style with contrast and saturation set as low as possible, because it's easier to change that stuff in post. The ISO is as low as I can get it, I'll rely on my lighting to handle the rest. I use manual focus as well. My camera doesn't allow auto focusing in picture mode, so I use an external monitor to get it as good as I can. The video I saw somehow got clearer picture and I swear I've messed with all these settings before and couldn't get the same with the same camera. Hmm....

Reactions: videoeditgr