Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was wondering what people here prefer out of the two, do you:

a) Like jumpcuts made in your own videos?
b) Like jumpcuts made in other peoples videos?

I will add a poll to this thread too to see what people like, it will be multi selection so you can choose two of course.

Personally I dont mind or not if someone does them, I think when done in shorter say 3 minute long videos they can be quite good as they seem to get the message of the video across quicker than without them. I like using them in my videos especially when I fail terribly and that way I can edit out the bloopers so I find them very handy.

For those of you who dont know what I mean by jumpcuts it is where when editing the video, you cut out a small section of the clip and delete it and then bring the rest of the clip to where the end of the other is, here is an example of a video with jumpcuts:

And one without any:

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
They are fine if the entire video is not filled with them. I see a lot of people using them but they use them for every scene. It totaly well ruins the points of them. I didnt answer your poll because I enjoy them if they are used correctly. I have seen a few cases of I wanted to pull my hair out because it was like every other split second..

Reactions: Michael

JD´s World

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
My video is used as an example! OMG! Does this mean I am famous? lol

I honestly prefer a mix of both. Sometimes jump cuts work and sometimes they don´t.... Sometimes they are needed and so on...

With an ever changing view perspective the mind of the viewer gets "tricked" into thinking there is a new scene going on when in fact you are usually still in the same spot and therefor the attention span gets "nulled out"

The tricks of the trade haha

Jonathan

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
jumpcuts are used in media to drive home a point, but I have seen people making entire channels with videos that all contain jump cuts. That is a point at which its overused and looses its zing value. Its a tool but people should not be making every video like that and have wall to wall jump cuts in their videos. I would say if the are doing that its because its actually faster and easier to edit and produce then going back and doing the entire thing over again so that its more seamless :)

PixieBlossom

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I use jumpcuts, though I am stil on a learning curve trying to figure out how to do them WELL lol.
I know a lot of people really really hate them, but others really really love them. Personally I watch mostly youtubers who use them, like sxephil, vlogbrothers, jennamarbles, ect. And I actually find videos without them to be a little bit blander. Ill still watch them, but I perfer jumpcuts. Videos without jumpcuts feel long and like they drag and nothing interesting visually is happening.

Incidentally, I think with my latest video I have figured out the key to how to do them well. In my earlier videos I had been trying to make my cuts as subtle as possible, and many people said that my cuts were annoying or too jumpy and I know I often accidently cut off ends or beginnings of sentances.
But people who successfully use jumpcuts move around the screen everytime they do a cut, so what I should have been doing is making the cuts as obvious as possible, and lots of people have said subsequently that my latest video feels smoother for it.

So, if you are going to use jumpcuts, heres some advice from my own learning curve. Every time you make a cut, make it a clear one. Reposistion yourself. And try to get out full sentances, because as I have learned from my own videos, people really really hate it when you cut midsentance.

Reactions: Stef and Michael

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I use jumpcuts, though I am stil on a learning curve trying to figure out how to do them WELL lol.
I know a lot of people really really hate them, but others really really love them. Personally I watch mostly youtubers who use them, like sxephil, vlogbrothers, jennamarbles, ect. And I actually find videos without them to be a little bit blander. Ill still watch them, but I perfer jumpcuts. Videos without jumpcuts feel long and like they drag and nothing interesting visually is happening.

Incidentally, I think with my latest video I have figured out the key to how to do them well. In my earlier videos I had been trying to make my cuts as subtle as possible, and many people said that my cuts were annoying or too jumpy and I know I often accidently cut off ends or beginnings of sentances.
But people who successfully use jumpcuts move around the screen everytime they do a cut, so what I should have been doing is making the cuts as obvious as possible, and lots of people have said subsequently that my latest video feels smoother for it.

So, if you are going to use jumpcuts, heres some advice from my own learning curve. Every time you make a cut, make it a clear one. Reposistion yourself. And try to get out full sentances, because as I have learned from my own videos, people really really hate it when you cut midsentance.
I'd say if you are using jumpcuts in every video you make. Your using them too much and its just gonna be an annoyance to many viewers. My two cents lol.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd say if you are using jumpcuts in every video you make. Your using them too much and its just gonna be an annoyance to many viewers. My two cents lol.
Not necessarily, if you use them as needed then I cant see it being an issue for most people, if its every few seconds then yeah that might put people off.

Reactions: urbanlamb

Stef

STEF SZN
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I like jump cuts if they are done WELL. If there are small gaps in between each 'cut' then it sort of ruin it. Or if you cut off the end of a sentence, as PixieBlossom mentioned. If you know how to do it properly it can greatly improve a video and make it more interesting. Videos without any editing where it's just someone talking tends to be a bit uninteresting.

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Not necessarily, if you use them as needed then I cant see it being an issue for most people, if its every few seconds then yeah that might put people off.
hehe jumpcuts are a special effect if you use it to often it becomes pointless. If say instead of jumpcuts the guy had an explosion go off every two seconds just because it was "cool" which is why people make jump cuts. After a point your into okay I think i will watch something else because I am tired of watching this over and over. So yes for many if you see a channel with videos which all use jump cuts every single video you start to wonder "are they doing it on purpose or are they just doing it for quick editing". It looks really unproffessional. If I see it in every single video there quickly becomes no point to watching it its no longer an eye catcher its just a video with someone poppping around the screen a lot. It then starts to move from special effects into "breaking immersion" .

Its a way to make me not watch your videos very often in other words. First time I see it I like it.. if i see it in every video its like okay then this guy does not know how to edit and just slapped his video together!

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
hehe jumpcuts are a special effect if you use it to often it becomes pointless. If say instead of jumpcuts the guy had an explosion go off every two seconds just because it was "cool" which is why people make jump cuts. After a point your into okay I think i will watch something else because I am tired of watching this over and over. So yes for many if you see a channel with videos which all use jump cuts every single video you start to wonder "are they doing it on purpose or are they just doing it for quick editing". It looks really unproffessional. If I see it in every single video there quickly becomes no point to watching it its no longer an eye catcher its just a video with someone poppping around the screen a lot. It then starts to move from special effects into "breaking immersion" .

Its a way to make me not watch your videos very often in other words. First time I see it I like it.. if i see it in every video its like okay then this guy does not know how to edit and just slapped his video together!
Fair enough were all entitled to what we think about using them :D I havent ever been bothered by them myself only when its ridiculously used over and over and over in the same video and at the wrong times.