January slump strategy?

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi all,

So like many I am encountering the January slump for revenue - down over 60% from December. My views however continue to be the best they've been after an amazing November and December.

On the one hand I want to maintain my high views as they were hard to get, ready for when the revenue starts building back up. On the other hand I worry that I am wasting lots of good content - content that could have made me a lot more money in the second quarter of the year onwards.

What's the advice her?

AceOfBats

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm a little curious here too. Though I'm just trying to maintain solid growth going forward through the slow season.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think it depends on the content you make. There might be some merit for saving potential gateway videos for better months if you have a narrow niche with a limited amount of large potential videos that you can make. Personally I'm going to go ahead and make my best content so that it can have more time to help me grow in the next 6 months as I'm more concerned with finding income streams other than adsense. However I have lots of potential videos I can make so it's just not really an issue for my goals.

If you're really concerned with maximizing the potential revenue of a video then yeah you could save it for a good month. However, again this all kind of depends on what content you make because if you make evergreen content then it might not really matter when you upload it as the views would be spread out anyway. So this is kind of banking on the fact that you know most of the views will happen the month that you're uploading the video and you have a limited number of really good ideas and you want to maximize their potential income.

I still think unless you really have a very limited selection of good content to make it's probably best to keep a solid pace, I mean certainly businesses do choose to release products at times that will be advantageous but I think it's better saved for specific circumstances.

Reactions: chubbybots

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm putting out the best content I've ever done and had the biggest single day in terms of views ever yesterday. When I see the revenue generated however it makes me cry and I seriously feel like I'm wasting such good content, however it also makes me think that I'm setting myself up for massive success when the revenue does start going up.

It's frustrating.

AceOfBats

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm putting out the best content I've ever done and had the biggest single day in terms of views ever yesterday. When I see the revenue generated however it makes me cry and I seriously feel like I'm wasting such good content, however it also makes me think that I'm setting myself up for massive success when the revenue does start going up.

It's frustrating.
I believe it and sympathize. We, sadly, aren't at your level of revenue making yet, so I'm happy I'm still seeing some forward momentum. The whole first week were some of our biggest individual view days for a solid week. Revenue was average at best. But you'e right about setting up for the future. Maybe January should be "Outreach Month" instead of "Slump Month."

DougieBoy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Don't focus on the revenue. My other channel(s) took a massive hit in revenue in January. But you have just keep pushing on and the revenue will go back up eventually. Most YouTubers that have been around for a couple years plan ahead knowing that after December, revenue is going to hurt.

So what I do is put revenue from the previous months up to January aside knowing that it's going to slow down for a couple months after that.

Reactions: AceOfBats