It's not an algorithm, it's a blacklist

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm still really confused by the whole thing more than anything. I had some videos I thought might get demonetized and nothing happened to them... I have videos with lots of "cartoon violence" in them and nothing happens to them. I played a zombie game with lots of guns shooting zombies on my phone and it wasn't very kid friendly and nothing happened to that video. Seems more like a whitelist than a blacklist for my channel.

They definitely need to make it very clear why a video was demonetized or at least give out better guidelines so that we can figure this out. It's annoying having to upload stuff and not have even the faintest idea of whether it's safe or not.

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Everyone needs to chill out about the new yellow icon, as that's all it is, a new icon indicating your videos aren't suitable for all advertises. Alot of videos have been generating 10% of what they once would revenue wise since April's Adpocaylpse. In addition, most of this is done by computers picking up sensitive keywords or your videos being flagged by users for offensive content. If you believe your video doesn't violate TOS, APPEAL IT so a human can take a look and reinstate it to full advertising rev. Have fun.

Chandler

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I uploaded a vid on Saturday and they marked it yellow before it was even public. There isn't any cursing or really much that's controversial. Its a video about cars in Japan. I realized that I was talking about "itaisha", which are cars which are decorated with anime characters and lights. Then I remembered "itai" means hurt in Japanese although in this case it means a car that hurts to look at. I deleted the video and then reuploaded it without itai in the tag. Now everything is fine, but it just shows how flawed this A.I. is.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I uploaded a vid on Saturday and they marked it yellow before it was even public. There isn't any cursing or really much that's controversial. Its a video about cars in Japan. I realized that I was talking about "itaisha", which are cars which are decorated with anime characters and lights. Then I remembered "itai" means hurt in Japanese although in this case it means a car that hurts to look at. I deleted the video and then reuploaded it without itai in the tag. Now everything is fine, but it just shows how flawed this A.I. is.
Hmmmm.... "itai" and "segoi" can be interpreted in an MA18+ way, as I recall from my year in Japan. The AI should be context aware, or perhaps not yet, maybe in a few years.

Doom Video Vault

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Gamer, Commentator
Those who put all their eggs in one basket are in for a very rude awakening. Like the Archfiend said, depending solely on YouTube revenue is unstable and could change at any point and he was right. Those who have done this are screwed unless they find alternative routes. Patreon and other donation incentives help but how long until YT goes for those doing streaming for donations?

Hollyweird Teens

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
UPDATE: I had a video go yellow, review requested and review approved / restriction removed ALL before it went public. (all within about a 20 hour time period). From now on I will just have to upload my videos at least a day in advance and let it sit in my video manager so I can get anything taken care of before it goes public.

Reactions: Apcat and Mr.Human

Chandler

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Hmmmm.... "itai" and "segoi" can be interpreted in an MA18+ way, as I recall from my year in Japan. The AI should be context aware, or perhaps not yet, maybe in a few years.
Itai isn't an MA18 word AFAIK. Its a normal word that is used routinely in children's shows, school, etc. If it is flagging words like that there is something seriously wrong.

Anyway from what I've experienced this algorithm isn't very good and seems to give lots of false flags. I hope they fix it soon or get rid of it. Although not all my content is family friendly 95% is and I have no idea what it flagged me for in my last 2 videos.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Itai isn't an MA18 word AFAIK. Its a normal word that is used routinely in children's shows, school, etc. If it is flagging words like that there is something seriously wrong.

Anyway from what I've experienced this algorithm isn't very good and seems to give lots of false flags. I hope they fix it soon or get rid of it. Although not all my content is family friendly 95% is and I have no idea what it flagged me for in my last 2 videos.
Seems the second wave of mass flagging videos as inappropriate was yesterday and I got several videos flagged. As usual it appears to be completely random. Also the human review don't guarantee that the video will be approved for monetization. It's dependant on who reviews it and his state/condition. I had some videos not approved, even if the same kind of videos were approved some minutes before. YouTube won't reveal what they look for deciding, so part of the YouTube income from adverts is now a variety of random/luck combo. As a plus fact if your video is flagged, you get the message that you still earn from it from YouTube red. So you shall not delete your videos even if they are flagged. They still can earn a cent or two from YouTube red (if you have hundreds of views on them).

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Seems the second wave of mass flagging videos as inappropriate was yesterday and I got several videos flagged. As usual it appears to be completely random. Also the human review don't guarantee that the video will be approved for monetization. It's dependant on who reviews it and his state/condition. I had some videos not approved, even if the same kind of videos were approved some minutes before. YouTube won't reveal what they look for deciding, so part of the YouTube income from adverts is now a variety of random/luck combo. As a plus fact if your video is flagged, you get the message that you still earn from it from YouTube red. So you shall not delete your videos even if they are flagged. They still can earn a cent or two from YouTube red (if you have hundreds of views on them).
Yep I got hit with another video demonetized - this one with ducks in the park and nursery rhyme songs as background music. I'm definitely keeping it up, a couple of cents will go a long way these days...

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I got a second one demonetized today, seems to be the new uploads that get targeted first. I've appealed both and my first one got remonetized despite not getting to 1000 views yet, still waiting on the 2nd one. I didn't get any sort of message or notification about it though just seems to be green again.

Edit: second video got remonetized as well, overall the appeal process took less than a day in both cases luckily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.