It's not an algorithm, it's a blacklist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've warned about the issue one week ago in the YouTube Video Monetization & Partnership Forum that appeared first on my second (much smaller channel) but now it is also on the main channel as well. Only few were affected back then and almost nobody else cared. Now the problem is affecting bigger groups and more and more people will start complaining. I've experienced the bug for more than a week now and my observations is that the flagging appears to be random. Same video on my main channel is not flagged while on the second it is. Re-uploading videos that were flagged - they are not flagged again, but other videos are flagged - so it's not the title, description, tags, video content or audio. It's RANDOM! And btw an update since then - it's not 1000 views/28 days for review anymore. It's a 1000 views for week and soon it may become 1000 views/day or even 1000 view/hour. I will say again what I said before:
the old days of YouTube being friendly to all kind of creators are over. And it will be getting worse and worse from now on.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Why the hell would something THAT innocent be demonetized, KiddieToysReview?
No idea, considering there are thousands of surprise egg videos from hundred of channels, not to mention thousands of innocent Barbie videos. There's absolutely nothing controversial or non-friendly with any of the video nor metadata. Just random demonetization to keep you in your place.[DOUBLEPOST=1503053613,1503053044][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've warned about the issue one week ago in the YouTube Video Monetization & Partnership Forum that appeared first on my second (much smaller channel) but now it is also on the main channel as well. Only few were affected back then and almost nobody else cared. Now the problem is affecting bigger groups and more and more people will start complaining. I've experienced the bug for more than a week now and my observations is that the flagging appears to be random. Same video on my main channel is not flagged while on the second it is. Re-uploading videos that were flagged - they are not flagged again, but other videos are flagged - so it's not the title, description, tags, video content or audio. It's RANDOM! And btw an update since then - it's not 1000 views/28 days for review anymore. It's a 1000 views for week and soon it may become 1000 views/day or even 1000 view/hour. I will say again what I said before:
the old days of YouTube being friendly to all kind of creators are over. And it will be getting worse and worse from now on.
Yep agreed. I have another video demonetized that is a metadata copy of a video that is monetized. It appears to apply haphazardly. It also a few days since my video was posted, so it's not instantaneous. It's almost like the video gets a pass over, perhaps it's flagged to some extent, then it gets another pass or manual revue. it's strange it did no go to demonetized first with the chance to appeal, and straight to manually reviewed. I could understand if there was vulgarity or vomit or crushing family-friendly characters with a car, but it's just innocent playing with dolls.

The stress-free passive income days of Yt are definitely over. So is content variety. This sort of stuff forces creators to make safe videos.

I for one am looking at a few top kids channels, see which of their videos run ads, and will make those videos. While previously I was happy to "push the envelope" and experiment in the hope of getting a viral hit with something more out there, there is little incentive now. I prefer to keep it safe, as I am sure many other kids channels will (who the heck wants to put in so much work for free?). The result is we'll see hundred and hundreds of videos copying the same stuff over and over as creators chase safe revenue dollars.

On the revenue side, it will be a 99/1 case. 1% of the top "safe" channels will get 99% of the ad dollars. The rest of the channels will get decimated and lose focus and motivation. There is nothing more demotivating than coming into work in the morning, your boss taking you aside, and saying 'from now on you'll be working for me for free'.

Although I was so upbeat about Yt potential back in Nov/Dec 2015, I am now growing cynical of it's potential as a stable income source (unless you're in the top 10 channels in a vertical). Now is the time to diversify off platform. Amazon beckons again :)

Last edited:

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
On the revenue side, it will be a 99/1 case. 1% of the top "safe" channels will get 99% of the ad dollars. The rest of the channels will get decimated and lose focus and motivation. There is nothing more demotivating than coming into work in the morning, your boss taking you aside, and saying 'from now on you'll be working for me for free'.
As I wrote in the thread started by @ItsBecky about her Fidget Spinner App Video getting limited, there is still hope that YouTube finetunes and bugfixes their new flagging system, once they realise what a mess they caused. But it can take weeks, months or even years. Being optimistic, I can tell that usually technical bugs YouTube fixes in months, sometimes even in weeks, but not always. However, bugs regarding monetization, they fix in days (less than a week). At least they did so back in December 2015 when a bug was randomly demonetizing videos for no apparent reason.

Reactions: babyteeth4
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In some circumstances, there is no apparent reason for demonetizing. Take this video that was demonetized, confirmed by manual review. There was no chance to even appeal it, it just went to that state. Nothing is more innocent than this video, it's kids opening Barbie toys. A few months ago I would have emailed our Yt account manager, but these days they don't reply, so it's pretty pointless.

View attachment 40915
Gee I'm so sorry.. what the heck tho? Ugh.. the more I read on this forum the more I want to give up.. When is opening up Barbie toys a crime?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Gee I'm so sorry.. what the heck tho? Ugh.. the more I read on this forum the more I want to give up.. When is opening up Barbie toys a crime?
Like the only thing I can think of is the "barbie" keyword, that other advertisers won't want to advertise against that keyword. But that will affect 99.9999% of all videos out there as we all use disney, cars, thomas, barbie, paw patrol, spiderman, etc, etc keywords. Anyways.... I don't recommend giving up, instead diversifying into other revenue streams on and off Yt platform.

Reactions: Pierce's Mom

u2bGamer

Reaction score
You guys are scaring me to the point that I went and checked all my videos. In the Reddit forum, they said this is white listing.

Like the only thing I can think of is the "barbie" keyword, that other advertisers won't want to advertise against that keyword. But that will affect 99.9999% of all videos out there as we all use disney, cars, thomas, barbie, paw patrol, spiderman, etc, etc keywords. Anyways.... I don't recommend giving up, instead diversifying into other revenue streams on and off Yt platform.
This makes a lot of sense. I think you hit the nail on the head. KiddieToysReview, I enjoy reading your posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You guys are scaring me to the point that I went and checked all my videos. In the Reddit forum, they said this is white listing.

I enjoy reading your posts.
thank you... but i think they are going to be getting a few shades darker going forward...

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I think this happened to Nova too (uberhaxornova), he made a video about it recently
This really, really sucks... For people that have been building their channel for months or years to have every single one of their videos demonetized, regardless of the content is scary af honestly, since theres nothing to do about it... and we don't even know if YT will change this any time soon... whats goin on with the world!!

Reactions: Mr.Human

DestinyDecade

Reaction score
I unfortunately have been affected. Most recently, a video I uploaded two days ago has been hit with the yellow $ icon and I'm really panicking. I feel it's in error because the video in question isn't offensive at all. Just me playing Sonic Mania. I'm really freaking out over it.

Hollyweird Teens

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The exact same thing is happening to me right now and I'd be willing to bet a million bucks I'm not on a blacklist. I just have a silly little teens channel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.