It takes more than JUST posting a video

Minikinart

Reaction score
People had it way easier 10 years ago, because there weren't so many videos and it was easier to get noticed. Sure there weren't so many people watching youtube videos but those channels grew steadily and slowly with youtube. Now you have to sell your soul to the devil to get anywhere and that doesn't even include getting paid for what you do. If you're not willing to forget about your social life you won't get anywhere. Another reason I'm thinking of quitting, nothing I ever do is good enough and appreciated, I'm a social outcast irl, I have no plans being one on youtube too.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I've had about 20 videos posted on different websites and even with that it gets a few thousand. It helps but isn't a panacea. Moving the needle is hard all around. So with out each step , you're hurting yourself

Elysia

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've had about 20 videos posted on different websites and even with that it gets a few thousand. It helps but isn't a panacea. Moving the needle is hard all around. So with out each step , you're hurting yourself
Eeeeexactly. Every step is mucu more needed these days.

oscarflowers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Lol, well unfortunately its all part of the same game these days
i mean, i do use some social media - instagram and snapchat stories are some of the best ways, with viewers being able to reply to them if they want to chat with me :)

braixen1264

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I don't really know, I never actually bothered with any of that. I don't like the idea of using Facebook or Instagram for my YouTube channel. I only have Twitter for interaction with fans, not at all for promotion.

I have a friend that thinks the same way, and we both managed to find a way to grow. He's in his first year of YouTubing and is already past the 500 subscriber mark. I found myself an audience and now I'm growing steadily, almost at 6,000 subscribers now.
My audience is mostly college and high school students that need a dose of nostalgia to help their stress. My friend's audience is people wanting to learn piano songs that are normally out of their ability. Promotion may help, but I think that if you find your audience, you'll be set.

Finding your audience can take forever but I think this is the only way to really get reliable and sustainable growth on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

HereBeBarr

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Great thread. I've found twitter + instagram do not get that many clicks. Instagram is the worst, people DO NOT want to leave that platform for a video.

I've done best with facebook and reddit. Reddit can be gold if you find groups that are interested in your stuff.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
people DO NOT want to leave that platform for a video
I agree with that. If somebody is on twitter it is because they want to be on twitter...not on youtube.

However, if you have subscribers that also follow you on other platforms it does no harm to remind them to check out your latest video next time they are on YT. Also, followers on Instagram or twitter will probably watch your videos if they stumble upon them on YT simply because they already follow you on another platform.

I don't think social media will directly lead to a significant amount of views on most videos, in fact for most you tubers even their own subscribers do not make up most of their views, but an active social media presence is all part of building your brand awareness and engaging with people.

Roman Ryder

I've Got It
Reaction score
I took an online crash course on YouTube. I think I know more about social media than my teenagers now.

I have a checklist I use immediately after publishing my video (every Friday at noon!) to promote it on social media.

I'm doing facebook, twitter, instagram, and pinterest. I'm still trying to figure out reddit. Plus, trying to find the right blogs, forums, groups, etc.

JackyPlus2

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Ok guys!

I see a LOT of you saying "people keep telling me to post regular content and viewers will eventually find what you are doing.".... I cant stress enough how untrue that is. Although posting regular content is a big part of seeing success on YT its also only your first step.

Once your video is posted it gets flooded into a sea of MILLIONS of other videos that were posted on the same day. IT TAKES MORE THAN JUST POSTING A VIDEO. What do you do next?

Well, next you are going to head over to Facebook. You are going to join EVERY SINGLE group that you can find that has anything to do with the topic of your video. DON'T JUST SPAM THEM. You will have to become a member of their community, comment on other peoples posts and show that you are a valuable member of the community and also, along with that, post your videos

Then, head over to your twitter account (because you have all social media's branded the same). and you will post it there with a link to your video and REALLY GOOD hashtags. then go to twitter.com/search filter to exactly what you want and exactly who you want to reach and search. Then like and comment on everything that has to do with your content and befriend the people that are interested in the same things as you

Then (pretty sure you see a pattern here) Head over to Instagram, Share your thumbnail, and tag the s**t out of it with ALL 30 hashtags that Instagram allows. Make sure they are all good, and have to do with the subject you are posting on. Then go to the search bar and search everything you can think of that has to do with your topic and like/comment on everything you can

Also join any online communities and forums that have to do with your topic and be active on there, share on StumbleUpon or reddit, or Flickr, or Imgur, or anywhere else you can think of. Also, make sure you look into Facebook adds, Instagram adds, and google adwords, as those are great ways to get more views and target the exact audience you want!

Then...once that is ALLLLLLL done....DO IT AGAIN the next day, and the next day, and the day after that etc. It takes a lot more work then posting and sitting back and waiting for the views to roll in, that's never going to happen.

Hope this was helpful for some of you! Let me know your strategies as well! Id love to hear them!
AMEN!

Stanley Yoang

Reaction score
So you mention posting on Facebook groups, but with vlogs do people actually click on your video? I've noticed posting on Instagram and Facebook tends to get likes for that social media platform but very few people actually watch the video. I'm having difficulty with getting people to actually watch my videos and like, subscribe, etc.