Is YouTubes new CROWDFUNDING feature good? Anyone here tried it yet?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So I just saw that YT is offering me the ability to add Crowdfunding to my channel. I have long wanted to sign up for Patreon, but did not have the ten thousand subs to qualify. I am nearing five thousand subs and now YT offers me to enable YT's own Crowdfunding on my channel. Is this a NEW thing, or did I just now meet the qualification and that is why it showed up?

Has anyone here tried it yet? How does it work? Are there any catches like, YT takes 50% of the donations for themselves or something like that?

Sinc

Mr Not That Famous
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
i thought you needed 30k? its 10k now? Is that only for gaming channels?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Please link to the Help Article which says you need 10K in subs to do crowdfunding. I've had a Patreon for years now; and I only have 6,259 subscribers.
All I know is that when I tried to sign up for it last year and put in my channel, Patreon came back and said that I needed 10K subs to qualify. If you have been with them for years, maybe you got in before they had that requirement. Maybe the followed YT example when YT started requiring 1K subs and 4K watch minutes before you can apply for partnership. I really don't know. I just know they turned me down for not having 10K subs.

But, I am more interested in YT's new crowdfunding. Is anyone using it? Did they just come out with this?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
All I know is that when I tried to sign up for it last year and put in my channel, Patreon came back and said that I needed 10K subs to qualify. If you have been with them for years, maybe you got in before they had that requirement. Maybe the followed YT example when YT started requiring 1K subs and 4K watch minutes before you can apply for partnership. I really don't know. I just know they turned me down for not having 10K subs.
Hmmm...

Patreon has changed their setup in recent times @Jungle Explorer; I have a 'Founder's Plan'. "New" Crowdfunding? I still don't understand; as Crowdfunding through approved sites using Cards has been available for years to active YPP members.

Please explain.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I can't find the fee schedule of YT crowdfunding. How much of a cut does YT take?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
As far as I am aware, YouTube isn't involved as far as fees go, as they are not the originator of the services. The crowdfunding platforms however, do take a cut of what you receive as a rule.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I guess you are right. I thought that YT was offering some form of internal crowdfunding system.

So how much does Patreon take? Their fee schedule is confusing. Also, why could a person not just ask their subscribers to just sign up for reoccurring payments with paypal? Is that not about the same thing?

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I guess you are right. I thought that YT was offering some form of internal crowdfunding system.

So how much does Patreon take? Their fee schedule is confusing. Also, why could a person not just ask their subscribers to just sign up for reoccurring payments with paypal? Is that not about the same thing?
You could go that route, but Patreon allows you make a page, posts, vids, membership areas etc. You could ask for Paypal funding as well, but it does not offer the extras. Patreon tries to make a community (I am not sure how well it works, but they try). I have a Patreon link and a Paypal link in my YT description, and on my blog. May as well use both. I recommend Patreon for monthly sponsors, and Paypal for one time donations.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer