Is YouTube turning into all the bad things about Traditional Media?

JV Trammell

A Filmmaker/Vlogger attempting to make you laugh.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A lot of us have been watching youtube for awhile and know that it used to be a place where possibly socially awkward people could be creative and connect with people. Now that it's more mainstream, do you think it's turning into all the bad things about traditional media? (All about money, Drama=views, Companies only caring about top performing creators with 'world appeal') Is everything cookie-cutter, and packaged together with little effort to maximize funds ? Let me know what you think!

Freshly Finished

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
this is an interesting concept, I certainly believe it is going downhill in the way of advertizing for sure, and they are obviously only going to target the higher played channels, always chasing the almighty dollar, unfortunately, a large corporation is only going to care about the money, ever. no matter what it is

thejadonmayhew

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
I don't believe so. There have been a few threads on various forums, various tweets and whatnot about all of this, mainly the whole 'YouTube Drama' thing and it changing YouTube in a bad way. Drama is everywhere. YouTube, 'traditional media' and on the school playground.

It's just become a bigger thing lately because people have made it a bigger thing, with the channels specifically for YouTube drama and the big YouTubers talking about it a lot more.

There will always be people who do things purely for the views (or whatever helps get the money). That's just a matter of life. However, I think that there are more people doing YouTube because they thoroughly enjoy it rather than because they want to make loads of money.

Also, it's only natural for companies to care about the big YouTubers because there is where the money is at. Whether we, as smaller YouTubers, like it or not, that's just the harsh truth. Companies are there, more often than not, to make money and make a profit.

Some companies take risks and it'll pay off, but on YouTube.. no-one really has the answer to success and 'making it big' so it really is just that, a risk. If people knew how to make it to the top on YouTube and get 'big', everyone would be there by now.

In short, no, I don't think YouTube is turning into the bad things of 'traditional media'. I think people are making a big deal out of very little. But hey, that's life.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

Freshly Finished

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I don't believe so. There have been a few threads on various forums, various tweets and whatnot about all of this, mainly the whole 'YouTube Drama' thing and it changing YouTube in a bad way. Drama is everywhere. YouTube, 'traditional media' and on the school playground.

It's just become a bigger thing lately because people have made it a bigger thing, with the channels specifically for YouTube drama and the big YouTubers talking about it a lot more.

There will always be people who do things purely for the views (or whatever helps get the money). That's just a matter of life. However, I think that there are more people doing YouTube because they thoroughly enjoy it rather than because they want to make loads of money.

Also, it's only natural for companies to care about the big YouTubers because there is where the money is at. Whether we, as smaller YouTubers, like it or not, that's just the harsh truth. Companies are there, more often than not, to make money and make a profit.

Some companies take risks and it'll pay off, but on YouTube.. no-one really has the answer to success and 'making it big' so it really is just that, a risk. If people knew how to make it to the top on YouTube and get 'big', everyone would be there by now.

In short, no, I don't think YouTube is turning into the bad things of 'traditional media'. I think people are making a big deal out of very little. But hey, that's life.
very well said!, I don't disagree with anything you have to say here

Reactions: thejadonmayhew

SilentRich

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Aside from a few channels that we refer to as cancer I'd say YouTube isn't as bad as we make out. For a start I stick to the kind of channels/videos that I personally enjoy so I only ever encounter the drama when I accidentally run into it. I don't seek it out or sub to things like drama alert.

But that doesn't mean that everyone who uses YouTube does it the same way I do. There are people who see a video, get potentially offended and then (stupidly) share the thing that annoyed them to all of their friends and keep the drama ball rolling. Which creates views for channels that really don't do anything productive on the website aside from posting Twitter posts and getting 500k views for it.

Selim Keles

Nap King
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Well these days I hardly watch anything on YouTube just the odd conspiracy video and those scary story ones a @BigBoss stream and also listen to a crap ton of music and stay away from all the so called drama so as long as you stick to the stuff you like drama avoided
And to be fair YouTube is not traditional media nor has it ever been Traditional Media
Don't know if I even answered the question there lol

Reactions: chottom and Vicboss

TheBatteryChicken

Level 34 Drug Dealer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
No.

Are young millennials trying to cut corners and make money from minimal work due to not knowing how to work hard, yes.

Reactions: Selim Keles

Selim Keles

Nap King
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
No.

Are young millennials trying to cut corners and make money from minimal work due to not knowing how to work hard, yes.
Yep that is exactly right and trust me he knows about hard work he is a level 34 drug dealer you can't get there with out working hard

Reactions: Vicboss

Freshly Finished

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Well these days I hardly watch anything on YouTube just the odd conspiracy video and those scary story ones a @BigBoss stream and also listen to a crap ton of music and stay away from all the so called drama so as long as you stick to the stuff you like drama avoided
And to be fair YouTube is not traditional media nor has it ever been Traditional Media
Don't know if I even answered the question there lol
The odd conspiracy video you say!?!?! I like your style ;) what are you usually watching?

Reactions: Selim Keles

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

A lot of us have been watching youtube for awhile and know that it used to be a place where possibly socially awkward people could be creative and connect with people. Now that it's more mainstream, do you think it's turning into all the bad things about traditional media? (All about money, Drama=views, Companies only caring about top performing creators with 'world appeal') Is everything cookie-cutter, and packaged together with little effort to maximize funds ? Let me know what you think!
Anyone can start a YouTube channel and be creative. It's for creative people. The fact that some make a livable wage doing it is the problem for the grand majority of small YouTubers (and probably the reason behind this thread). They can't seem to stop thinking about the subscribers / views / money that should be rolling in but isn't. It isn't because those people don't have that mainstream appeal. Don't worry, I am one of those people without appeal too, but I don't care and do my thing. I love being creative, and putting my content out there.

And naturally companies only care about those that are popular. Bang for their buck. I with 2.7K subscribers won't be approached by a company. 100K subscribers and doors start to open. It's often people that have no business sense that make comments like "promote the small guy". It just doesn't work that way. It sucks, but it's the truth.