Is your channel name legal?

Zach Werre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Let's say you have a channel called "Mario Pipes", Mario being a reference to the Nintendo character, would Nintendo be able to legally force you to change your name? I know they probably won't but if you start selling merchandise with the name Mario Pipes on it, would they as trademark holders have the grounds to force you to stop selling your merchandise? I'm sure it's not a black and white answer so any help or advice where to find an answer is much appreciated!

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not in that case because Mario is a name and you can use it as much as you like unless they can prove that it is taken directly from their game.

Reactions: Brandon

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
The name "Scootakip" is illegal in at least 23 countries, I'm just waiting till special ops agents find me and take me out.

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hmmmm. . . I've never heard of someone getting in trouble for a name, unless it's like "Official *company name*"

so I really wouldn't worry! :D

Zach Werre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Not in that case because Mario is a name and you can use it as much as you like unless they can prove that it is taken directly from their game.
Gotcha. Let's say the channel was just videos about Mario games and the graphics in the videos and on the channel were to that of Mario's games, Nintendo could use that as evidence that the name Mario in Mario Pipes was taken from their games, correct?[DOUBLEPOST=1520907959,1520907828][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah I don't think so.
As in you don't think using a name like Mario Pipes would be illegal or that you don't think using Mario Pipes as a channel would be legal?

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Gotcha. Let's say the channel was just videos about Mario games and the graphics in the videos and on the channel were to that of Mario's games, Nintendo could use that as evidence that the name Mario in Mario Pipes was taken from their games, correct?
That would be something for a judge to decide but I wouldn't think so. So long as you are using your own graphics and logos, I think you're fine. Usually with names, they have to show that your product and their product can be reasonably confused and I kind of doubt anyone is going to do that with a YouTube channel and Nintendo. But I'm not a lawyer, so that that as you will.

Gate of Theories

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Gotcha. Let's say the channel was just videos about Mario games and the graphics in the videos and on the channel were to that of Mario's games, Nintendo could use that as evidence that the name Mario in Mario Pipes was taken from their games, correct?[DOUBLEPOST=1520907959,1520907828][/DOUBLEPOST]
As in you don't think using a name like Mario Pipes would be illegal or that you don't think using Mario Pipes as a channel would be legal?
You can use it. It will be legal to use.