Is writing a script for a video necessary ?

Minikinart

Reaction score
How do you script them then? Do you watch the video you want to react to a couple of times and script what you're going to do and/or say at a certain point of the video? What's the point in doing that, I thought the point of reaction videos was to film yourself watching a video for the very first time and with it your natural, spontaneous reaction to it... That's what's fun about them, sometimes people react in a funny and/or unique way that is hard to replicate.

filipaschannel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It depends a lot. When I do reviews I like to keep a list of topics next to me to make sure I don't forget to speak about any aspect. However I like to keep my videos spontaneous so scripts I dont do at all.

QueenLlama

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
I am not that experienced with making videos on youtube but by the looks of your channel i personally dont think you should have a script as you are a gaming channel, if you are doing a commentary over a video then maybe write down a few bullet points to be prepared :) just try out different techniques and do what suits you best

Julia and Claire

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
If you're doing a voiceover, I definitely think a script is good, because you will say exactly what needs to be said. However, if you're just talking to a camera, I think that it's good to have an idea about what message you want to say. We think of bits and pieces of scripts, but we don't stick to it to strictly, and add things in that we think of on the spot. It you're making skits. I definitely think a script is a good idea. That way you can think about exactly what you want to say, and add things in ahead of time that will make the skit funny and interesting.

Julia and Claire

LkHyt

Reaction score
I would say do not script videos that have to appear natural, stuff like game highlights and the sort, where the audience is looking for a genuine reaction on your part. That said, videos where you want to get a point across I do believe you should write a script, even if just main points on it so you don't forget stuff and get sidetracked.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When we do our videos, if its supposed to be funny we leave the camera running and cut out the gaps its easier than stopping and starting the camera, but recently we have had some some slight scripted videos aspecially the next one, so we can remember what we have to do and say next,

Ernie Jo

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm near the end of a big scripted detective series I've been doing, it's like a comedy/drama and we are in Season 2. The first season was all random and improv (it was never planned to be a series but just kind of happened haha), which brought a lot of humor from me and my co-star, but also led to the scenes dragging on and made it hard to edit, because stuff was just one take.

For Season 2 we scripted the whole thing out, and basically kept most of the minor parts to the script but we let the main characters do a little improv and have some room to breathe. But it allowed us to convey more information a lot quicker, and just helped the whole story. A few times the writing did kinda bog everything down because I'm not a professional writer, and it did cut down on some of our spontaneity, but overall it helped a lot.

But it really just depends on what you're trying to do.

AdamP

Reaction score
I do not as I think it adds an air of authenticity to it. That said, I would think it necessary for many people. I've lost count the number of times I've been making a video and got tongue-tied and swore at my screen.

Mikes

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
It depends. If you're really good at speaking from your mind and improvising, then perhaps not, but for me, I find it pretty necessary for tutorials, or any kind of video where I deliver some kind of explanations or thoughts.

Scripts typically allow me to deliver what I need to say without rambling or missing any information that should have been said. I am not very good at speaking from the top of my head, so trying that would likely result in the video being a big ramble. Rambles tend to not be very entertaining. Explanations are all over the place, and the video just ends up being boring. Besides, the last thing I'd want is a tutorial video that wastes time with a bunch of "Like, ya'know, kinda, um, well, it's like, I mean . . ."

If it's a Let's Play or some kind of reaction video, then yeah, I wouldn't see the need for a script.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Yes. Don't believe for a second anything on tv or online kanda scripted. There might be a one off that wasn't but that's usually from the super talented and very rare. Talking of he top of your head might make sense to you but it sounds like nonsense to everyone else because we don't know what you're thinking.

Case in point. I found a radio tape when I was a dj from 1999. I was talking with 2 other people and I had no idea what I was saying because we were talking with inside jokes and now I don't remember what they were. So it was funny for us on air and change the channel for everyone else