Is Union For Gamers (Curse) Really What It Seems? 90/10 Split?

CalbelTV: What Invisible said, you can't really have a lower monetized % than what you would get on Adsense. The backend is the same for everyone.

Tarmack: Yes, but I'm working on a couple of larger scale operations because I'd like to have more offer on this side. I'm test driving embeds on our websites and a couple of other things (we had an example of that on mmo-champion yesterday).

I'd still like to offer guest video spots on our channels in the near future with an extra rev share (= the 90% rev share would apply there too) and with an open contract there too. I've had the contract sitting in my inbox for a while but I postponed things until we get the core features wrapped up. After that, I have a couple more ideas that needs to be worked on, but we should have a pretty good coverage on this side in the near future.

Short answer? Curse can do it because of the web business we have. Most (all?) companies out there are dedicated Youtube companies, they had to build their management team from the grounds up, finance, legal, etc... then you add the initial cost of having headquarters and a couple of other things and it adds up.

On my side, I just get to piggyback our existing infrastructure, my lovely CEO basically asked me to do something nice with what we already have and that's exactly what I'm doing. There's no catch, the first year has been slightly bumpy on the support/signup side but almost all these problems are resolved at this point, or should be resolved by the end of the month. We're also adding more staff to help with the influx of new partners, the network has been growing 20% a month steadily, and the growth should be around 33% for July actually.

You know why there's no lock in on my contract? First, because I think lock ins are insane. Even a "small" 2 year lock in is basically the time it took to the Yogscast to go from 50k subs to 3 million subs. This isn't even the main reason why I don't do lock-ins though, there's two reasons why I do it:
  • I just don't have to. Our contract is very good and our leave % is incredibly low, on a bad month it will be 3 or 4 partners maybe? And honestly, half of them are people getting scammed by subnetworks who promise insane stuff. I just make sure they get a trial period/open ended contract with their new network and they end up coming back after a month when they realize that it was a mistake.
  • This is just not how Youtube should work. We reached a point where we all know that things can get big, really fast, and getting yourself locked in a bad/average contract for 2 years means you could be significantly hurting your main source of income in 6 months or 1 year. I'm still amazed by how people are willing to sign their freedom away on the internet, which is usually the place where people will complain the most about this kind of things.
I honestly think we're reaching a point in the Youtube scene where networks will have to evolve. I'm not necessarily good with fancy words so I'll just keep it simple: I think we need to be in a situation where networks are your b***h, not the other way around. Youtubers should have the power, not huge network X who goes "not happy? yeah well, tough luck, you're stuck with us for 2 years". It doesn't mean that you should be super mean to your networks, you usually deal with people who care a lot about what they do regardless of who you're working with.
That was a slightly ranty wall of text I guess. Just let me say this, I'm a community person from the beginning, and as dumb as it sounds I do believe we can build something much better for Youtubers than what there is out there.

I applied for CURSE (also known as "Union For Gamers") and i'm staring at a contract right now that I have yet to sign. Was I already accepted? I never got a notification that I was. I don't feel comfortable signing something without knowing if I have been accepted. My channel (with rounded almost about 2,000 subs) would be mainly gaming related with comedy involved too with certain impersonations for the commentary over gameplay. If I have been accepted. There is good change i'll sign! as I've heard good things about CURSE :p

I applied for CURSE (also known as "Union For Gamers") and i'm staring at a contract right now that I have yet to sign. Was I already accepted? I never got a notification that I was. I don't feel comfortable signing something without knowing if I have been accepted. My channel (with rounded almost about 2,000 subs) would be mainly gaming related with comedy involved too with certain impersonations for the commentary over gameplay. If I have been accepted. There is good change i'll sign! as I've heard good things about CURSE :p
You've meet their minimum requirement which means their bot will send you a contract, after you sign Nick or Emma (their partner managers) will actually review your channel to insure there is no copyright issues and you aren't partnered. The whole process takes about 8 hours from you sending in the contract.

Source: Curse Partner

You've meet their minimum requirement which means their bot will send you a contract, after you sign Nick or Emma (their partner managers) will actually review your channel to insure there is no copyright issues and you aren't partnered. The whole process takes about 8 hours from you sending in the contract.

Source: Curse Partner

alright..signed the contract last night and I have no strikes or Content ID blocks..hope it goes though!! As my sub rate grows every day :p

Excuse my lack of knowledge in this area please. I meet the requirements to join this network with views in the last 30 days but will I really make more money than my youtube partnership? Are there other perks to joining a network?

Excuse my lack of knowledge in this area please. I meet the requirements to join this network with views in the last 30 days but will I really make more money than my youtube partnership? Are there other perks to joining a network?

It is not likely that you will earn more with a network. Even if they say that they have higher paying ads, there is no guarantee that you will get them on your channel.
Regarding the other perks of joining a network, find their website and see what they have to offer.

I'm going with them next month as I finally got rid off RPM this month (May 30 will be my release). I'll note you guys how it looks with them. xD

i am currently partnered with maker studios and i dont like it very much, i keep on asking when my end date is as they updated my contract and i forgot to write it down. so far no response i really like the look of curse as i do gaming videos

Back