Is Twitch the New YouTube??

Skyler Henricks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Just wanting to try to see if anyone else has this thought?? Several of my favorite YouTubers have been getting demonetized for no apparent reason and with Amazon owning twitch they have some money and a large company backing them!! I just have seen some YouTubers uploading there whole library onto Twitch and I've heard that Twitch is going to be updating it's overall app/website and overall look to compete with YouTube!! Just wanted to start a discussion and see what people think!!

ShyJosh

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
When I posted on topic "Is YouTube dying?". I basicly said: "Twitch has potential to kill youtube.". They all called me insane. ;)
I believe if amazon plays things right, it will happen. :)
Another cool story which I heard is that facebook plans to open it's own video service with monetization. :)

Reactions: Jamie Lee Bones

unevenflaps

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
With youtubes ads situation twitch has the appeal of being a safety net money wise due to not completely relying on youtube and the various interactive elements are a natural advantage aswell. Also one advantage for people starting out is that if people browse what game is being played it shows ALL live streamers so there's a chance of always getting new viewers in that way

Oliver Lesh

Reaction score
For gamers, maybe. But YouTube is gonna stay with us for a long time, I believe. Mainly because it's already well known (I mean, my grandma knows what YouTube is and she can't even make a call on her phone!) and because it's open to any types of videos, whether it's aforementioned gaming or for example vlogs, music, speedarts, animations, sports, etc. YouTube is way too big platform for Google to actually kill it - they'll do their best to keep it alive and keep it the biggest video platform out there.

Reactions: Brandon

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Twitch has always been a money making method, issue is it's way harder to get big on twitch than it is on youtube. with youtube you can promote an existing video and encourage people to watch other videos, with twitch they need to check the channel and see you stream.

So in the long run twitch has the potential to be the new YouTube but i highly doubt it.

Skyler Henricks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Twitch has always been a money making method, issue is it's way harder to get big on twitch than it is on youtube. with youtube you can promote an existing video and encourage people to watch other videos, with twitch they need to check the channel and see you stream.

So in the long run twitch has the potential to be the new YouTube but i highly doubt it.
With the new upload service you don't have to find them just by streaming and you can follow or subscribe to people and see when they upload new videos, similar to YouTube.

Skyler Henricks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don't think it's going to necessarily kill YouTube but I think it will definitely take some creators away from YouTube. YouTube lately has been putting a lot of cards into there TV and Subscription stuff (RED) and they give more advantages and put the highlight on celebrity's and TV shows instead of the home made content from creators. They need to take it back to what it's supposed to be and give more attention to the creators!!

ShyJosh

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
YT died in the moment when they decided to get MCNs into their adsense stuff. So now it doesn't matter if you are with network or adsense.. all money goes via adsense. ;) And we know that adsense doesn't respect their customers and support is aweful.

Reactions: Skyler Henricks

WebSam

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don't think Twitch will kill YouTube, but I think it will bring some competition to them, which is good. I think Facebook will also bring more competition, which will be interesting to see how that plays out.

The problem I have is with all of these is that you either have to post to everything, stick with what you are using, or make a decision on which one you want to back if you are starting out new. It becomes a very fragmented place, but for creators, I guess they will go where the money is.

For consumers of this content they will go where it easy for them to consume, for almost everyone I know, that place is Facebook, so many people spend time on there, communicate with messenger etc and live in this bubble. As long as I can share content to Facebook, I'll be happy. It will be an interesting couple of years I think.