Is this piece of music royality free...

Gareth_85

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am in the process of creating a video for my YT channel and really want to use this piece of music cavalleria rusticana intermezzo (click the link) it is an old classical piece and I am unsure if it is copyright/usage restricted. I am willing to pay to use the song in my video but I am so confused as to the rules and usage rights on this song. It was released in 1891. Please could anyone help me get to the bottom of this?

In the print it states; This item of multimedia is licensed under the EFF: Open Audio License version 1. This allows for the copying, redistribution, performance or modification of this music, but not for the modification of the original author attribution (including any audio tags) or the license terms.

Does this mean that if i use a small portion of the audio and cut it that this will classify as a modification to the music? This is a minefield :(

Many thanks,
Gaz

Last edited:

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I suggest you use this to know if you can use a song: youtube.com/music_policies?o=U

Screenshot 2019-03-24 at 03.03.48.png

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@GameVestment

The version in the Music Policies section and the one on the WikimediaCommons are two different performances. That could make all the difference, as both the performing orchestra and the recording/publication dates are different also. Both may also have been published in different countries; so different copyright law applications may apply.

Reactions: GameVestment

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
@GameVestment

The version in the Music Policies section and the one on the WikimediaCommons are two different performances. That could make all the difference, as both the performing orchestra and the recording/publication dates are different also. Both may also have been published in different countries; so different copyright law applications may apply.
Yeah you are right but I would not risk it since there are waaaay too many versions and probably the bot might detect it in ContentID or a company will take advantage of it only cause it sounds similar or as a "cover". Music Industry is so protective of their work it's so crazy that I would not take the risk since there are way too many great songs out there that won't cause you any trouble.

In my early days I uploaded an unlisted video with a classical song and the system detected it right away so I deleted the video and uploaded it again with a different song. That's also something you can test @Gareth_85

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@GameVestment

I had a worse one once! Someone had put some weird Portuguese or Spanish vocals to the first movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, and given the new piece a different name. The piece was registered with SECAM through this artist's distributor, and they were busily hitting every instance of the Moonlight they could with the robot, whether the vocals were present or not.

Unlike you however, I was not going to have my own derviative work destroyed. I had sourced a CC-BY MIDI from a German site who specialized in music of the old classical masters. I did my usual VSTI magic on the piece, slightly altering the pace so it came very close to my own performance of the piece from when I used to play classical piano, many decades ago.

When I got hit, I fought the claim and won; partly due to the difference in music and video title; and finally by the fact mine was a pure instrumental with no vocals attached. I also linked both the originating site for the MIDI file, and the license.

• Wow
Reactions: GameVestment

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
VSTI magic
That's what I also usually do. In my video I also show the way of getting from the MIDI file to the (often totally different) result.
One of my latest videos features the melody of "I've found a new Baby" being butchered into a Ragtime style piano piece using Music Prototyping software.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
That's what I also usually do. In my video I also show the way of getting from the MIDI file to the (often totally different) result.
One of my latest videos features the melody of "I've found a new Baby" being butchered into a Ragtime style piano piece using Music Prototyping software.
Watch out for this rule though; which is why I don't show my composition or music editing workflow.

"What can I monetize?
Video game content may be monetized depending on the commercial use rights granted to you by licenses of video game publishers. Some video game publishers allow you to use all video game content for commercial use and state that in their license agreements. Likewise, videos showing software user interface may be monetized only if you have a contract with the publisher or you have paid a licensing fee."

"What can't I monetize?
Without the appropriate license from the publisher, use of video game or software user interface must be minimal.
Video game content may be monetized if the associated step-by-step commentary is strictly tied to the live action being shown and provides instructional or educational value.

Videos simply showing a user playing a video game or the use of software for extended periods of time may not be accepted for monetization."

Reactions: HiEnergy

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Videos simply showing a user playing a video game or the use of software for extended periods of time may not be accepted for monetization."
I guess this basically means I need a facecam and/or voiceover and/or explanatory texts...?
The mentioned Ragtime video features explaining texts.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@HiEnergy

Facecam/voiceover preference.

Also, I'd have evidence ready to show YouTube that you have a contract or license for all software apps used for your music prototyping which allows you to create monetized YouTube videos from them, as well as prototyping pieces from which you might make money via digital release through outlets. They have a rather discomforting practice or used to, of calling for commercial use rights evidence unexpectedly.

In such cases, they tend to demonetize first, and demand rights evidence on the heels of that. I once lost 18 months worth of monetization on a hypnosis collaboration video, though I provided the evidence sought as soon as I received the demand email. I wonder to this day if this was done because they were annoyed that I had and could readily provide what they asked, and as a hard-copy PDF file in some cases.

Reactions: HiEnergy