Is this fair use or does it break copyright?

Zembezi

Reaction score
Well I am only wondering because this happened to my videos.

I have heard other people who have had their videos directly stolen and someone just put it into a compilation video and then that's apparently covered by "fair use" etc.

I find that personally bad since it makes it so that people can be lazy and not even have to create their own things anymore. Just steal a few other peoples videos and put them into one video.

BUUUUUUT

What happened to my video is a bit different.

My video is about 2 minutes and 10 seconds long. It has music from that "Kevin Macloud" guy. I credit him as usual in the description.

But someone stole my video, and changed the music to some random other music and cut out the first 20 second of the video. Other than that, it's the same video as it's all about the visuals. (It's Spider and stuff that I have filmed in close up).

But fair use is so ridiculous, I was wondering if even that guy is covered by fair use? He takes my video, cuts off the first 20 seconds and just changed the background music. Does that now count as his creation? lol

Zembezi

Reaction score
I am thinking that maybe I should at least ask him to credit my channel in the description since he did take the video from my hard work. He also has it monetized.

I don't want to fill in the copyright infringement notice as it gives him all my private details (street address, phone number, full legal name, etc). I don't want some Russian guy who steal videos having all my private details, I can only imagine what he could do with all that info.

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am thinking that maybe I should at least ask him to credit my channel in the description since he did take the video from my hard work. He also has it monetized.

I don't want to fill in the copyright infringement notice as it gives him all my private details (street address, phone number, full legal name, etc). I don't want some Russian guy who steal videos having all my private details, I can only imagine what he could do with all that info.
I'd contact him and be civil. Tell him how you feel, that you want to be credited and maybe you can establish some kind of working relationship with him, collab, talk about ideas etc...

The copyright claims, while effective in getting a video removed, do nothing but create bad blood between you and the person you strike against. You wouldn't have to worry about them turning up on your doorstep but they may begin to troll your channel, flag videos for minor things and just cause problems.

Zembezi

Reaction score
I'd contact him and be civil. Tell him how you feel, that you want to be credited and maybe you can establish some kind of working relationship with him, collab, talk about ideas etc...

The copyright claims, while effective in getting a video removed, do nothing but create bad blood between you and the person you strike against. You wouldn't have to worry about them turning up on your doorstep but they may begin to troll your channel, flag videos for minor things and just cause problems.

Well I just commented to him and messaged him, he removed them. But the message he sent me made me wonder.

He said that if I want he can put them back up and he will put my channel link in his description. But if I don't want that then he won't put the videos back up.

I am wondering? What should I do, I guess I am happy he took them down. But if I said he can put them back up as long as he puts my channel in the description. Couldn't that gain me more views?

I guess it's hard to predict, it would only ever gain me more views if his people watching his videos are mainly different people. I mean I don't want his to become popular among the demographic that look at my videos, otherwise I would be competing with my own video. lol

What do you suggest?

Zembezi

Reaction score
I will probably do something before you guys reply anyway, you take too long hahahha.

My gut feeling is maybe just not type anything to him and leave it at that. He took the videos down so that's good. I think I should probably keep my content and grow my channel instead of allowing others to have my content and link back to my channel.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
As far as being fair use or not, it sounds like his use wouldn't be fair unless the song he put on there changed the nature of the spider footage from how you used it. Think of the Bad Lip Reading videos. Glad he took it down, though. Personally I wouldn't mind someone else using my content as long as they mentioned me in the description. If I minded, I wouldn't make my videos public.

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
He set your videos to private be cause he doesn't want to get a copyright strike lol.

I use alot of other peoples videos and everything is used with their permission and credited in the description, and some of those videos do get watched through the links. It's up to you, it can't really do any harm if someone else uses your clips and you are starting to network/collab even though it was started by him just taking your video.

Krow

I've Got It
Reaction score
As said, compilations are not typically fair use.
Can we consider a "top 10" video to be a compilation? If so, in Youtube's site they list one of those videos as an example of what fair use can be.