Is there magic to the 10 minute video?

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Several times now I have heard YouTubers saying something about making videos at least 10 minutes. They say it as if it's some magic sauce for the algorithm. Can anyone confirm this or elaborate? I know total hours/play time is important, but is there some special significance to a minimum of 10 minutes per video?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Yeah, as Katy says, 10 minute videos can have midrolls but that doesn't necessarily mean the algorithm favours them.

If a creator has purposefully padded out a video with longwinded content just to get it over 10 minutes (I see this a lot!), the viewers will get bored and stop watching. That results in low audience retention and that results in the algorithm not promoting the video.

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah, as Katy says, 10 minute videos can have midrolls but that doesn't necessarily mean the algorithm favours them.

If a creator has purposefully padded out a video with longwinded content just to get it over 10 minutes (I see this a lot!), the viewers will get bored and stop watching. That results in low audience retention and that results in the algorithm not promoting the video.
That's good to hear because my videos are usually 5-6 minutes and I'm not willing to babble and repeat myself just to pad it out. Getting to the 4000 hours definitely feels like a huge hill to climb, but at least I know what's up now. Thanks for the reply (& to Katy too).

ryancecil99

Reaction score
Both of you are 100% correct, the 10 minute is simply if you want more money.

Last edited by a moderator:

GearGasms

Reaction score
That's good to hear because my videos are usually 5-6 minutes and I'm not willing to babble and repeat myself just to pad it out. Getting to the 4000 hours definitely feels like a huge hill to climb, but at least I know what's up now. Thanks for the reply (& to Katy too).
Are you in the guitar space? I see a guitar in your avatar. I'm in that space and it's a tough field to crack. Keep going and you will get there!

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Are you in the guitar space? I see a guitar in your avatar. I'm in that space and it's a tough field to crack. Keep going and you will get there!
Yessir. I'll go follow your channel now. I'm MusicWithMarky there. It's been a lot of fun, but much slower growth than I expected. My buddy (and sort of adviser) has an ASMR thing and he hit 10k in like a week. =[

xpdeus

Reaction score
Views retention is the most important factor for ranking. If people watch your video to the end you will get ranked in search results and suggested videos. No need to make long 10minutes videos

HerJourney

Reaction score
Website
www.her-journey.de
Channel Type
Youtuber
I read this rumor a lot.
It's a relief for me to know it isn't true. I don't like the idea to put useless stuff in my video only to serve the algorithm.