Is there any downside to this?

Tropical365

I've Got It
Forgive me if this is a silly and/or stupid question... (I'm new to all this). Someone asked me if they can post/share my "Cockatiel singing as I swing him back and forth haha" video on their facebook page. Their facebook page is called "WeLikeUp" and it seems they post a lot of "viral" videos on their facebook.

They said they would give me credit. Not sure what that means because when I visit their facebook page I do not see the giving credit to the owner of the video anywhere... unless I'm missing something?? Do you see where he's giving credit? I don't see it anywhere...

This video they want to share is my biggest video I have and is helping me get new subscribers... so I don't want to do anything that can potentially affect that... I'd love to hear any advice. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, If you look above the videos on their Facebook they have credited people and have linked the persons channel on some of them. Not all the videos have credit given on them though.

Hi, If you look above the videos on their Facebook they have credited people and have linked the persons channel on some of them. Not all the videos have credit given on them though.

Oops my bad, upon looking again I see you're right. It missed it first couple of times. Thanks :)

If you feel like it's fishy, don't go for it. You own the video, don't let people get all the credit for something you did.

If you feel like it's fishy, don't go for it. You own the video, don't let people get all the credit for something you did.

Thanks for your words of caution. My only issue is that this video is helping me get new subscribers and if this video gets plastered all over the place by other people won't that seriously detract people from visiting my channel? It is helping me get new subs but not an overwhelming amount. For example I only got 2 news subs past 2 days... but I did go from 17 subs to 400 subs during the past 4 months... but not all subs are because of this one video..

I just want to do whatever will help bring more people to my channel. I don't know if by him posting my video on his facebook (and if he credits me) would do that or not...

Thanks for your words of caution. My only issue is that this video is helping me get new subscribers and if this video gets plastered all over the place by other people won't that seriously detract people from visiting my channel? It is helping me get new subs but not an overwhelming amount. For example I only got 2 news subs past 2 days... but I did go from 17 subs to 400 subs during the past 4 months... but not all subs are because of this one video..

I just want to do whatever will help bring more people to my channel. I don't know if by him posting my video on his facebook (and if he credits me) would do that or not...
Any promotion is good promotion, as long as you're actually being promoted. If he links back to your channel, you're good. If he doesn't, then he just basically stole your content.

Any promotion is good promotion, as long as you're actually being promoted. If he links back to your channel, you're good. If he doesn't, then he just basically stole your content.

The issue I have is that when you click on the videos on his facebook it does not open the video in the youtube channel (meaning the video doesn't link to the real owner's youtube channel)... and if credit is given it's very easy to miss. I didn't even notice the credit first couple of times I visited his facebook... is it possible to post video on facebook so that when someone clicks to view the video it immediately opens in the real owner's youtube channel? The way he has the videos it's more or less promoting his facebook page... and not the real owner's youtube channel of that video??

The issue I have is that when you click on the videos on his facebook it does not open the video in the youtube channel (meaning the video doesn't link to the real owner's youtube channel)... and if credit is given it's very easy to miss. I didn't even notice the credit first couple of times I visited his facebook... is it possible to post video on facebook so that when someone clicks to view the video it immediately opens in the real owner's youtube channel? The way he has the videos it's more or less promoting his facebook page... and not the real owner's youtube channel of that video??
If that is the case, I would decline. Because he's doing exactly that, he's not promoting you, he is using you as free content for his page.

If that is the case, I would decline. Because he's doing exactly that, he's not promoting you, he is using you as free content for his page.

Thanks for your replies. I will let him know that unless he can make it so that when people click to view the video it immediately (opens a new window) which directs to my youtube channel where they can view the video on my channel it's a no go.... I say this because when he does issue credits it's far too easy to miss or maybe it's just me I don't know... but I don' feel as thought having my video on is facebook page would help my channel at all because of that.

Thanks for your replies. I will let him know that unless he can make it so that when people click to view the video it immediately (opens a new window) which directs to my youtube channel where they can view the video on my channel it's a no go.... I say this because when he does issue credits it's far too easy to miss or maybe it's just me I don't know... but I don' feel as thought having my video on is facebook page would help my channel at all because of that.
Good decision, and no problem! I love helping people out when I can.

Back