Is there a way to see if you have targeted ads?

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I know I'm gonna get my butt kicked with the new youtube changes, but I'm wondering, is there a way to see exactly how many targeted ads you get on your videos? I'm still kind of working out creator studio and all of its changes.

to be honest I wouldn't mind the money drop, its the missing comments and things I really don't want. :/

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Not sure either, but i don't think your channel would be one to lose its comments/targeted ads as the content isn't specifically made for young children as made for kids channels are.

MadBlaxe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
besides everything i f**** with your thumbnail style its so pretty ...its rare to see something good nowadays especially by new ytbrs

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Not sure either, but i don't think your channel would be one to lose its comments/targeted ads as the content isn't specifically made for young children as made for kids channels are.
Doesn't really matter if it's specifically made for small kids or not. The new COPPA amendments go after any content that's not just "made for kids" but also potentially "appealing to kids". Seeing how that type of standard is too vague, subjective and open to interpretation, rest assured SOME YouTubers who don't make content for small kids will get tagged and targeted for making "kid appealing" content and will get fined.

The $42,430 penalty isn't the fixed sum. The guidelines state that it's "up to $42,430" which means it's likely rarely or never going to be that much, but it has been stated that the fines will be "per offence", which basically means "per video".

Thank YouTube for breaking the 2013 law for the past 6 years and serving personalized ads to kids under 13. Now, YT is bouncing the responsibility to creators even though we have absolutely no power over who, where and when watches our content - it's YT algorithm deciding that.

In theory, marking your content "Not made for kids" could be an easy fix because YT can just take that information and never display your video to users they deem as kids under 13. We all know YT's not gonna do it because that's gonna cause them to lose 100s of millions of dollars of ad revenue.

However, marking your content "No, it's not made for kids" doesn't really even matter when FTC has stated they'll specifically go after content creators THEY deem are making "kid appealing" content.

Unfortunately for lightsen, she's into animated content and that's the type of content that's been explicitly listed as one of the examples of "appeals to kids" content.

And in the end, kids aren't going to get protected at all. Kid-friendly content is not gonna be produced any more starting from January 2020 and kids will be exposed to progressively more and more adult videos, ultimately resulting in an opposite effect - instead of protecting them, they will be exposed to more stuff not appropriate for their age.

Proper shitstorm, eh?

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Doesn't really matter if it's specifically made for small kids or not. The new COPPA amendments go after any content that's not just "made for kids" but also potentially "appealing to kids". Seeing how that type of standard is too vague, subjective and open to interpretation, rest assured SOME YouTubers who don't make content for small kids will get tagged and targeted for making "kid appealing" content and will get fined.

The $42,430 penalty isn't the fixed sum. The guidelines state that it's "up to $42,430" which means it's likely rarely or never going to be that much, but it has been stated that the fines will be "per offence", which basically means "per video".

Thank YouTube for breaking the 2013 law for the past 6 years and serving personalized ads to kids under 13. Now, YT is bouncing the responsibility to creators even though we have absolutely no power over who, where and when watches our content - it's YT algorithm deciding that.

In theory, marking your content "Not made for kids" could be an easy fix because YT can just take that information and never display your video to users they deem as kids under 13. We all know YT's not gonna do it because that's gonna cause them to lose 100s of millions of dollars of ad revenue.

However, marking your content "No, it's not made for kids" doesn't really even matter when FTC has stated they'll specifically go after content creators THEY deem are making "kid appealing" content.

Unfortunately for lightsen, she's into animated content and that's the type of content that's been explicitly listed as one of the examples of "appeals to kids" content.

And in the end, kids aren't going to get protected at all. Kid-friendly content is not gonna be produced any more starting from January 2020 and kids will be exposed to progressively more and more adult videos, ultimately resulting in an opposite effect - instead of protecting them, they will be exposed to more stuff not appropriate for their age.

Proper shitstorm, eh?
Not really, they clarified it.

Second, just because your video has bright colors or animated characters doesn’t mean you’re automatically covered by COPPA. While many animated shows are directed to kids, the FTC recognizes there can be animated programming that appeals to everyone.

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Not really, they clarified it.

Who decides what content is "for kids only" and what content is "appealing to everyone"? YouTube's already proven faulty bots that simply can't take context into account? Government officials, who never even heard about all the weird, diverse and sometimes, yes, infantile & childish stuff certain groups of adults enjoy watching on YouTube?

Any government body, regardless of country, that gets to decide what's legal and what's not based on an entirely unclear, vague and ambiguous set of "parameters" that they get to apply subjectively on a case-by-case basis is simply ludicrous.

Laws that provide clear guidelines, instructions and limitations are one thing. Laws that state words like "fun" are considered "child-directed" content are complete lunacy.

All that said, realistically, an overwhelming majority of YT channels are probably gonna be just fine, business as usual, mine included - none of my videos got flagged, probably because I literally have Word files, websites with walls of text and an occasional picture screen-recorded in my videos, so the bots probably don't detect anything but a bunch of words on screen.

The problem is nobody really knows what that "probably" really entails and that's the scariest part.