Is there a way to get exposure through original content?

Tyler Rand

My Mind is a Strange Place to Visit
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I feel like whenever people get bigger it's because they're feeding off of other popular things. Like people will relate videos to Justin Beiber or the Harlem Shake or whatever hot songs are on the radio. Things that will direct traffic towards them.

This is a smart move, but I feel like it's necessary and that bugs me :(

I like creating original content and I don't like being overshadowed by people that gain a ton of subs and viewers by feeding off of pop culture. I also don't want to make videos just for the sake of getting viewers...

I feel like MY journey to success will be MUCH longer than that of John Doe who pin points popularity over original content. This makes me sad :(

I'd like to gain subs quicker some other way...any suggestions?

jochem

where the fields are green and the air fresh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
i dont have suggestions for you to get more subs, but i surely agree that its kinda low to see people do those things like harlem shake just to highlight their channel. it makes me sad to see people do that while their channel has always been about something else. thats why i would never do something like harlem shake on my channel unless subscribers request it, which they dont because i get like zero comments. just keep doing what yur doing, it will make you sucsessfull... eventually ;)

Pearl

Sleepyhead~
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
i dont have suggestions for you to get more subs, but i surely agree that its kinda low to see people do those things like harlem shake just to highlight their channel. it makes me sad to see people do that while their channel has always been about something else. thats why i would never do something like harlem shake on my channel unless subscribers request it, which they dont because i get like zero comments. just keep doing what yur doing, it will make you sucsessfull... eventually ;)
True. Harlem Shake is a perfect example. People do it ONLY because it's viral. If it wasn't viral, they would never, ever have done something like that.

Reactions: jochem

Voice of Vanessa

Dimple-Smiles <3
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don't see why it's "Low" for someone to do the Harlem shake or whatever is viral at the moment. If their channel ONLY consist of things like that...then maybe that's a different story. If you have a mix of original content and maybe a few vids from pop culture then I don't see the issue. I think having a Balance is key. It's all about having fun doing things you LIKE to do right?...I think it's smart advertising and promotion. Anyway that's just my opinion...

I say brainstorm things that you would be interested in watching on YouTube in general and try your hand at doing those things. What's important is that YOU like your videos ya know? Also try finding ppl who have the same content as you and watch their stuff and be genuine. They will most likely come back to your channel and love your stuff since you already have the same interest.

Reactions: Tyler Rand

TylorSkory

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
That's a really interesting question... For our channel for example, we started off doing purely sketches on Thursday. We actually came up with the idea to add a "Random Monday" video every week so we could participate in some challenge videos that were popular at the time. Since then, some of our Random Monday videos have become some of our most popular videos. It's been hugely beneficial for us and gained us lots of subscribers (and fans) that never would have found us otherwise. Some of our most loyal and active fans have told us that they first found us through a challenge video we did. Of course, our main goal is to make people laugh and we always keep that in mind when sitting down to come up with a video, but we definitely take a good look at what's popular that week or (will be soon) to try and capitalize on that in a Random Monday video. We did a Harlem Shake video because we knew our fans would like it (and they did!) but of course I'll be honest and say we wanted to throw it out there in hopes of picking up some new subscribers as well (which we also did).

jochem

where the fields are green and the air fresh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I don't see why it's "Low" for someone to do the Harlem shake or whatever is viral at the moment. If their channel ONLY consist of things like that...then maybe that's a different story. If you have a mix of original content and maybe a few vids from pop culture then I don't see the issue. I think having a Balance is key. It's all about having fun doing things you LIKE to do right?...I think it's smart advertising and promotion. Anyway that's just my opinion...

I say brainstorm things that you would be interested in watching on YouTube in general and try your hand at doing those things. What's important is that YOU like your videos ya know? Also try finding ppl who have the same content as you and watch their stuff and be genuine. They will most likely come back to your channel and love your stuff since you already have the same interest.
it isnt low to do the harlem shake, but i think it kinda is dumb when you go from this normal gaming channel to the harlem shake, or give opinions about justin bieber out of nowhere, and just do a viral thing when there is a new one. i think that would be the sign of someone who only does it to gain views.

Reactions: Talooka

KdawgCreations

KC Punk! KC Punk!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Designer
ive had similar problem though I've been mostly making gaming related content lately i still on the side try to make a vlog or a skit and i do find it hard to get those videos views because of the fads out there i'd suggest finding ways to advertise and get exposure ive been lately getting on that to try to see of getting some more watching as well but good luck

TwinTails

Got music?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I feel like whenever people get bigger it's because they're feeding off of other popular things. Like people will relate videos to Justin Beiber or the Harlem Shake or whatever hot songs are on the radio. Things that will direct traffic towards them.

This is a smart move, but I feel like it's necessary and that bugs me :(

I like creating original content and I don't like being overshadowed by people that gain a ton of subs and viewers by feeding off of pop culture. I also don't want to make videos just for the sake of getting viewers...

I feel like MY journey to success will be MUCH longer than that of John Doe who pin points popularity over original content. This makes me sad :(

I'd like to gain subs quicker some other way...any suggestions?
Well, being 100% original is just about.. impossible.
It's true, every damn time I think of what could be an original idea and then google it... it's already been done :crying:
It also bugs me that the popular stuff is more popular because when you make original stuff... it's original and most likely if you don't already have that audience, then no one is gonna know about it unless you share it 9000 times over.
In college my tutor always told us about the japanese/chinese business philosophy - "Never invent, always re-invent" and how Microsoft never invented anything (same goes for Apple). The path to success nowadays seems to be redevelopment and improvement upon others work as it's expensive and time-consuming to put an original invention/idea into motion.

Reactions: Tyler Rand

TylorSkory

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
That's a really interesting question... For our channel for example, we started off doing purely sketches on Thursday. We actually came up with the idea to add a "Random Monday" video every week so we could participate in some challenge videos that were popular at the time. Since then, some of our Random Monday videos have become some of our most popular videos. It's been hugely beneficial for us and gained us lots of subscribers (and fans) that never would have found us otherwise. Some of our most loyal and active fans have told us that they first found us through a challenge video we did. Of course, our main goal is to make people laugh and we always keep that in mind when sitting down to come up with a video, but we definitely take a good look at what's popular that week or (will be soon) to try and capitalize on that in a Random Monday video. We did a Harlem Shake video because we knew our fans would like it (and they did!) but of course I'll be honest and say we wanted to throw it out there in hopes of picking up some new subscribers as well (which we also did).
I should mention too, that our original content is still the main focus of our channel, gets more views on average, and is really what keeps people coming back each week. It's what they look forward to. Our Random Mondays are really just that, a random video each week that we use to try and entertain our current subscribers with or catch new subscribers with. Like everything else in life, it's a balancing act :D Wishing you good luck!