Is there a difference between saying swear words (cussing) AND bleeping then out?

Happydude

Reaction score
So am wanting to start my own YouTube channel in the coming week but am wanting to reach a wider audience. At the same time I want to be genuine and not put on a fake persona.

I use many swear words a lot during my journal everyday speech and am wondering how YouTube would treat my channel if I just spoke normally and cussed throughout a ten minute video, or if I was to censor and bleep out (with audio) the swear words I say.

I’m new to this so am guessing perhaps for the first example where I just cuss viewers may need to be logged into their YouTube/Google accounts?

Krisfire

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Director
If you curse alot then constant beeps would get annoying imo. I wouldn't sensor but I would take a look into why you curse so much. Are they used as filler words like Umm or Ahh or are they used to enhance the speak. If they are filler words then its best to try and reel them in and have less of them overall but if its an enhancement then its fine. All my opinion tho, I'm no expert lol.

Happydude

Reaction score
If you curse alot then constant beeps would get annoying imo. I wouldn't sensor but I would take a look into why you curse so much. Are they used as filler words like Umm or Ahh or are they used to enhance the speak. If they are filler words then its best to try and reel them in and have less of them overall but if its an enhancement then its fine. All my opinion tho, I'm no expert lol.
I feel I use cuss words at appropriate moments within sentences. Not filler for ‘um’.

So, I’m wondering if YouTube will prevent my videos from being seen to the regular public without a YouTube or google account if I cuss a lot or even if I bleep out my cursing.

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure, so don't quote me on this but.. I heard someone say that 'beep'ing out swear words on YT can actually flag up on the system? It might be better to just cut the audio or add a non-offensive sound effect
I do agree that constant beeping in a video is annoying though

I'm also not sure if swear words flag up on the system, but I think if they're detected in the auto-subtitles that might flag it up, that's also something I've heard..

Happydude

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure, so don't quote me on this but.. I heard someone say that 'beep'ing out swear words on YT can actually flag up on the system? It might be better to just cut the audio or add a non-offensive sound effect
I do agree that constant beeping in a video is annoying though

I'm also not sure if swear words flag up on the system, but I think if they're detected in the auto-subtitles that might flag it up, that's also something I've heard..
Tha m you for the response. I don’t mind bleeping them out with some random sound like say a Star Wars gun blaster aligns instead of the cliche standard bleep. But ideally I would love to just cuss throughout the video. It’s part of who I am.

I guess I’m wondering if only people with YouTube accounts will then be able to see my videos.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Tha m you for the response. I don’t mind bleeping them out with some random sound like say a Star Wars gun blaster aligns instead of the cliche standard bleep. But ideally I would love to just cuss throughout the video. It’s part of who I am.

I guess I’m wondering if only people with YouTube accounts will then be able to see my videos.
Oh no, unless you set your videos to private where noone can see them, anyone can view your YouTube videos without being signed in or without even having an account.

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
In one of the Creator Insider vids they talked about cursing. They never gave real specifics but things like 'within reason', 'not too much'... No real help. The only thing they did say was the first 30 seconds of the video was the most important to keep clean. Apparently the fisrt part of the vid is more likely to flag. In real life I swear like an old sailor (because I am one). In my travel vids, I keep it pretty clean, just narrating. In my day in the life vlogs, I speak normal English - tons of flavorful words. I have never had one flag for language.

• They said the 3 main things are the title, the thumbnail, and the amount of cussing in the beginning of the vid.
  • They say bleeping is fine.
  • Racial slurs and cussing at/about a person is worse than stubbing your toe and dropping the f-bomb.