Is sub for sub good?

Slightly Desi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I want to know if sub for subs are great or not because I'm trying to grow my channel but I'm getting absolutely no subscribers whatsoever.. even though I have three videos up already :/

Meli the Speli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I didn't get a subscriber that wasn't a friend until I was 15 videos in. Just keep trying and more people will come. I'm still struggling to get subscribers but it's worth doing it this way. Sub for sub isn't good because sure, you'll get a bunch of subs, but most will probably unsub asap and they most likely won't watch your videos. Also it always feels better doing it the honest way.

Reactions: Sabrina

Slightly Desi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I didn't get a subscriber that wasn't a friend until I was 15 videos in. Just keep trying and more people will come. I'm still struggling to get subscribers but it's worth doing it this way. Sub for sub isn't good because sure, you'll get a bunch of subs, but most will probably unsub asap and they most likely won't watch your videos. Also it always feels better doing it the honest way.
Yeah I understand that part but I just thought that at least through sub for sub I might get at least some exposure. The situation I'm at I'm getting nothing!

Meli the Speli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Trust me, it's worth the wait, just upload frequently, try to get a schedule, and try out new things. I get the frustration, but it's definitely worth a bit of a wait

Reactions: Slightly Desi

Whitesand

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hi there. It is a good question! I would totally recommend never to do 'sub to sub'.
Here's why(my opinion):
1. This way your brand(channel) is not growing, the sub numbers might get higher but you are not getting the people engagement and genuine interest it what you do.
2. People smell fake over-subbed channels. IF you find a channel that have like 50 views average and 100 subs you can definitely sense something wrong there, it kind a turns you off.
3. Those subs are not there to stay. What do you want - particularly at the start, to get the true fans.

My advice: spend your energy elsewhere, do your research, find ways to improve your content. (there's a lot of information out there, you just need to find it) Also, share your content in Facebook, twitter, Reddit. Get involved with similar content channels learn from them and collaborate.

I know it takes time my friend, I am growing slow myself, but I bet that the start is the hardest.
Best of luck!

Reactions: Meli the Speli

ProfessionalRik

Gaming Culture's Icon
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Allow me to offer you my 2 cents: Sub4Sub isn't a good idea because it'll give you false hope and false analytics.

I know it feels like it's hard, but the ABSOLUTELY most rewarding way is to just hang out in forums like this talking to people. You meet people who like you and like your content and they watch your videos every time one comes out to see you some more.

If you don't believe me, I've made over 50 videos and have 18 subscribers. Do I want more? Sure. Do I want to subscribe to people I won't watch so people who won't watch me will subscribe? Not really.

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Moved to the Strategies and Technique advice forum.

Sub4Sub is like Apple asking Samsung to buy the iPhone 7 and they buy the Galaxy Note to boost sales. The fact it's against YTTalk's rules should say stay away from it. :p

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm going against the current a bit on this one but here's another view on it, take it as you wish :)

Sub4sub helps you getting views and subscribers which is essential for growing on youtube to gain authority in the YT algorithm. The downside is that they kill your retention and maybe even worse, start a YT view session with your video and stop it from there (not viewing more videos incl other channels). The question is which is worse, and it's a heavy debated point among creators.

Something that everyone agrees on though is that you need to promote your videos. No promotion = no views, they won't come magically by Youtube loving your videos over the other hundreds of hours uploaded every minute.

If you do decide to go down the sub4sub route from a promotion perspective, I would recommend only doing it on channels similar in content and size to yours. This way you increase the chance of becoming friends with other creators in your niche and people actually a little more interested in your videos.

To give you an example how bad promotion can be for your channel I'll use YTtalk as an example :) While the place is great and you'll find creators who can help you on your journey to become more successful, it's very bad for your retention from a promotion perspective :)
Might be my niche I'm in but the average view time on videos watched by people on this forum clicking on the video in my signature is.... 9 seconds :) So definitely don't join this forum from a promotional perspective haha (not saying that you want that).

Last edited:
Reactions: KiddieToysReview