Hollyweird Teens

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So basically the 2 factors of how much money you make per video are:
- Estimated Monetized Playbacks
- CPM

To basically figure out how much you make you take the EMP / 1000 x CPM, correct?

So for some reason, I feel like something fishy is going on with these statistics. I know YouTube has much better things to do than to analyze my teeny channel and to try to screw me over, but I can't help but feel this way. I also do believe that it would be in YT's best interest for content creators to make money so why would they be trying to hold me back?

Yet, video after video the same thing happens. It's hard to explain but I will try. So, if one of my videos does well (for me) and lets say gets 50,000 views in the first 48 hours...I can BET MY LIFE that the CPM will be ridiculously small. like .91! If my video isn't doing well at all (500 in the first 24 hours) the CPM will be about $3. Also, IF BY CHANCE I get a popular video AND a somewhat high CPM going with it, GUARANTEE the Estimated Monetized playbacks will be ridiculously low. And I compare estimated playbacks and lets again use 50,000 views. A video of mine with 50,000 views usually gets about 5,000 EMP but if they give it a higher CPM it will have more like a 500 EMP.

Am I just crazy or has anyone else noticed this, too? I hope I'm even making sense.

Reactions: Mr.Human

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the monetization forum. :)

MrDooney

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's weird cause a few months ago, my views were fairly high for my channel, it was 2000, with 12,000 minutes watch time, but my estimated revenue was 0.09 cents!? I ended up getting paid more than 9 cents, but I feel the way they calculate how much you make is very flawed, rather than sketchy. But if you feel that you are not getting paid as much as you should, that's more of your network's doing than YouTube. : )

Hollyweird Teens

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's weird cause a few months ago, my views were fairly high for my channel, it was 2000, with 12,000 minutes watch time, but my estimated revenue was 0.09 cents!? I ended up getting paid more than 9 cents, but I feel the way they calculate how much you make is very flawed, rather than sketchy. But if you feel that you are not getting paid as much as you should, that's more of your network's doing than YouTube. : )
I'm not with a network.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So for some reason, I feel like something fishy is going on with these statistics. I know YouTube has much better things to do than to analyze my teeny channel and to try to screw me over, but I can't help but feel this way. I also do believe that it would be in YT's best interest for content creators to make money so why would they be trying to hold me back?
Perhaps it is the type of content people want to see, but not the type of content people are willing to put ads on? I do car reviews on mine, and I can't for the life of me figure out how a Saab review is leading the boards in my analytics when a GTR just failed to launch (not in the video by the way, it was FAST). The CPM on a C3 review is through the roof, but the one on the Saab review pales in comparison.

I have given up trying to figure out what makes YouTube tick, and just do it as a hobby. I never looked back.

And then the bold part. Let me explain something to you: It is absolutely NOT in YouTube's best interest to have content creators make money. Content creators that make money for YouTube is what they need. You, Me and 99.9% of this forum cost YouTube money. It is only the higher echelon that makes YouTube real money, money they can then use to expand the platform. Also, by keeping new creators down they harden them for the road ahead. I had monetization problems in the beginning which I hated (I monetized from day 1 on sheer principle, I provide something, you pay me for it, how little that might be). After a few months I never had problems again. They create a hostile environment on purpose. So people that keep at it are the people in for the long run. Loyal. And in addition: Give people money right off the bat and they get lazy. I think everyone knows YouTubers that had stellar videos in the beginning but now produce utter crap in comparison. But, since they are now bigger than life, they could post a video of a lady bug and get millions of views.

Mr.Human

Reaction score
Yeah it's weird... my estimated revenue for July was 455 euros... and I know it usually varies a bit at the end so you get +- 15/20 euros less or more. But this time without any explanation or reason it went down to 318. From 455 to 318. Rlly? Much wow lol can't trust analytics at all after this

Scapestrato

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
So basically the 2 factors of how much money you make per video are:
- Estimated Monetized Playbacks
- CPM
You forgot to mention viewers country, when it comes to earnings a channel with 100k views daily only from US will blow out of the water an Indian 1 million views per day channel

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The way I work out revenue is using my Adsense App.
Page views x Page RPM - 20%
or
Impressions x Impression RPM -20%

Now I dont know why/ or where the above -20% goes but this normally works for me to see how much ive earned in a day/week/month.

Let me give you an example for my month so far
2,381,780 (divided by 1000) views x £0.42 - 20% = £800.28
797,826 (divided by 1000) impressions x £1.25 - 20% = £797.83

So im on so far about £800 for this month.