Is promoting your videos with Google Adwords worth it?

Oliver Andersen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've set it so that when people click my ad, they land on my channel home page. I don't know if I should set the landing page as the videos or playlist page. I wonder which page visitors would find most useful or least confusing? Not sure if I should set the landing page to be a playlist either. :/ I have about 25 playlists.

These are the countries that my ad is targeting, mostly the countries in in Asia and Europe with the largest populations. Will probably add 20 more countries, based on wealth.
Personally I think you should link them to a video cause its with our content that determines how many subs & views we get & what if they leave & dont watch any of your videos but if you link them to a video you can say you at least got 1 view out of it which is better than 0.

If it was me I would pick the best video from my channel & advertise that.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Im going to be overhauling both my format and channel trailer in a few weeks time so im thinking of taking the opportunity in early January to do a few low priced (Im thinking £10-£20) targeted ads aimed at promoting what I consider to be some of my better reviews to specific audiences within my most watched countries...Im hoping the joint effort of reworking my format and updating my channel trailer (Plus better use end cards) might just help push me that bit further... I dont think i'll necissarily explode with subs as a result of it but even if I clear 100 extra views or a sub or two I didnt previously have I'd think it was worth it...

Reactions: MyBigBrain

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
Personally I think you should link them to a video cause its with our content that determines how many subs & views we get & what if they leave & dont watch any of your videos but if you link them to a video you can say you at least got 1 view out of it which is better than 0.

If it was me I would pick the best video from my channel & advertise that.
I decided to just use my channel home page as the landing page. I think that linking to one video is too narrow, especially when there is a large number of unrelated search phrases that people can use and end up at a video that is not something that they are interested in. At least at my home page they can see properly titled playlists and videos, so can make an informed decision about what they want to see.

Anyway, I was having trouble with adwords due to cancelling my previous adwords account. So I just created a new adwords account and a new ad campaing, which will be reviewed within 24 hours, and then go live.

Oliver Andersen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I decided to just use my channel home page as the landing page. I think that linking to one video is too narrow, especially when there is a large number of unrelated search phrases that people can use and end up at a video that is not something that they are interested in. At least at my home page they can see properly titled playlists and videos, so can make an informed decision about what they want to see.

Anyway, I was having trouble with adwords due to cancelling my previous adwords account. So I just created a new adwords account and a new ad campaing, which will be reviewed within 24 hours, and then go live.
Alright no problem your money you decide ;)
Maybe its a good solution after all so people can see exactly what you offer :thumbsup2:
I would be very glad if you would return tomorrow & update us if your campaign gets approved :)

buzzcuts

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
Could you use a direct subscribe link as the main landing page? Since they would presumably already be YouTube members it might be one case where that link really worked. Would that not redirect to your channel page after, too?

Thanks for sharing your insights on this - I'm curious, too.

Reactions: MyBigBrain

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
My campaign is live, so far 0 views and 0 clicks.

What I find challenging is using concise description to entice people to click, without resorting to clickbait. Only 30 characters and 80 characters are allowed for the headline title and ad description.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’ve never tried it, but I heard a lot of people who tried have a negative experience. I seen people post on this forum about it complaining they didn’t get and views or subscribers and they ended up paying them a lot of money.

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
I’ve never tried it, but I heard a lot of people who tried have a negative experience. I seen people post on this forum about it complaining they didn’t get and views or subscribers and they ended up paying them a lot of money.
I should clarify, for adwords, 'views' refers to the number times the adwords ad was seen by people who were using the particular search phrases included with the ad. So so far, no one has seen my ad, so the 'view' is 0. 'click' refers to the number of times the ad has been clicked , which would lead the people clicking to my channel homepage. So 'views' and 'click' refer to the ad itself, not to videos on my youtube channel.

But the good thing is, I only pay when people click my ad. So if 10 people view the ad, and 1 person clicks it, I only pay for the single click.[DOUBLEPOST=1512703583,1512686406][/DOUBLEPOST]So far my ad has been seen 819 times, clicked on 21 times, and I paid $1.93 for the 20 clicks. YT analytics shows just 2 videos viewed, from India...so I am guessing 21 people land at my channel home page, and then what? Get confused by the playlists and videos so don't watch anything? These are 21 people who typed in very specific search phrases, saw the very concise description of my adword ad, clicked it, then did nothing at the landing page. Weird, but very interesting...let's see how this plays out.[DOUBLEPOST=1512704102][/DOUBLEPOST]More interesting stats. My ad was viewed on smartphones 91%, tablets 7%, computers 3%. My ads were clicked on smartphones 95%, tablets 0% and computers 5%. It may be my channel home page would look messy and less organised on a smartphone than on a computer, hence the small number of videos views.[DOUBLEPOST=1512726654][/DOUBLEPOST]Currently at 3415 ad views, 57 clicks and $3.07 spent. That's 5 cents per visitor to my YT channel home page.

If the cost per click remains the same, for $100/month, I can get 2000 channel views. For $1200/year, I can get 24,000 channel views.

Anyway, I'll wait for a week to see how things go. If cost per click remains the same (5 cents), I should have 460 channel views by the end of the week.

Attachments

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I spent about $8.50 and got 79 views over the course of one week. I could get that many views just signing into a different work computer. So I’d say not worth it. But I’m going to try one more time, targeting a huge channel after the release something and see how that goes

Reactions: Oliver Andersen