Is my video protected under fair use? - Parody, educational, benefits the market

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Please see my signature video about Game of Thrones. (If you're short on time see below)

It's basically a rap song about Game of Thrones, making fun of it and what happens in it. I answer a question, Who's died in Game of Thrones, thus informing people (Does that count?), I use footage from the show to highlight my points (Does that count?), At the end of the day what I do in the video probably makes people want to watch Game of Thrones, at least season 7 since I spoiled season 6, does that count as benefiting the market?

Also, the footage highlights MY work which is my audio recording on top of a free-to-use soundtrack.

I'm not getting hit with any content ID matches or copyright strikes so far, doing similar stuff on other videos so it seems fine. However, I am still small and I would like to know if this will be more problematic with a bigger channel?

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
At the end of the day what I do in the video probably makes people want to watch Game of Thrones, at least season 7 since I spoiled season 6, does that count as benefiting the market?
Not a chance. By your own admission, your video would have fewer people watching season 6, not more. It's not only about the newest, but anything a company could make money off of... which would include all previous seasons.

Now, there's nothing wrong with talking about and giving spoilers and that you used fair use music and your voice would only help your case, but using their footage could easily get you flagged.

Ultimately, it's all a gray area and something that only a court can decide. The bigger question for you is- is this something you're willing to take on the expenses on and fight if they do happen to come after you?

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not a chance. By your own admission, your video would have fewer people watching season 6, not more. It's not only about the newest, but anything a company could make money off of... which would include all previous seasons.

Now, there's nothing wrong with talking about and giving spoilers and that you used fair use music and your voice would only help your case, but using their footage could easily get you flagged.

Ultimately, it's all a gray area and something that only a court can decide. The bigger question for you is- is this something you're willing to take on the expenses on and fight if they do happen to come after you?
Thank you for chiming in, your points are understandable and if anything it's very debatable the effects of such a video like this. It could be harmful because people know who dies, yet beneficial because viewers may want to find out how they died.

Not that I take copyright lightly, nor the consequences, but the worst thing that could happen is that my video gets taken down and I get a strike, correct? There have been a lot of step forwards with Fair Use in any case. Would you consider my video to be a remix of the original content? Seeing that I am using the footage in a mashup/compilation. I am trying to gauge whether I am more in favor of Fair Use than not.