Is my channel safe from the coming COPPA crackdown in January?

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
How can it hold any weight if the Youtube bot can't actually read it? That probably won't help, unless maybe you read it allowed and stress the word 'adult' so that hopefully the bot can pick it up and determine it's an adult channel.
Iv already marked my channel as not intend for children within the YouTube settings. Bot already knows. The op's concern is that intended could be open to interpretation. So if you put a disclaimer in the start of the video saying this video is not intend for children. You are making it clear that your target audience for the video is not for children

Last edited:

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm new to the forums and you're lucky post #1 that pushed me to making my account. Sounds like your over reacting a little. YouTube is s**t at a lot of things but this is just spewing rubbish. All their doing is enabling a new flag to say if a video is for kids, or not for kids, and no longer selling ad spots to advertisers that used to be able to target this demographics. Google's losing money, and so are kids content creators. Party's over for a lot of people, it's the right thing to do and should have been so from the very start. Be glad you did earn some money while it lasted.

A lot of entitlement with this one here. As a creator, YouTube owes us nothing. We live in a world where we can film content, edit and upload, and potentially reach millions all within 24 hours, and earn money off it, compared to how traditional TV works. You can still make non kid content and make money there. But if you want to make kid content, the platform that previously was selling ad spots is no longer doing that, so you've lost your one and only sales person and again they don't owe you anything.

What the FTC is doing is stopping Walt Disney from having their ads show up on YouTube channel that kids watch. No one said anything about it being illegal to make children directed content. All toy companies make advertising that targets children, but the other mediums they put it on like TV, papers etc are more controlled and are not where children's eyes are glued to for hours in a day.

FTC did the right thing for children here, YouTube is simply complying and letting creators take onus of what they create, and some kid content creators just need to let go and move on.
Punishing people for the crimes that other people are doing, is unjust and unAmerican. Making online content directed at children is not a VIOLATION of the COPPA law. Harvesting personal information about children is a violation of the COPPA law. No YouTube creator is HARVESTING children's information and the FTC threatening to fine them $42k per video does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!! to stop YouTube and Google from harvesting children's information. And yet, you seem to think "This is a good thing for CHILDREN!"

Oh, BTW, I don't make children's content. I am here defending those that do against unjust tyranny of an AD company that wants to be lazy and immunize themselves against prosecution by passing the buck of responsibility of controlling where ads show, unto the weakest link that has no way to defend themselves.

You are right though, YT has the power to do whatever they want to content creators, but it does not make it right or just, or even logical. There are plenty of other options to handle this problem, that would be much more effective than punishing innocent, hardworking creators for a crime they did not commit.

Here. Educate yourself.

Last edited:

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Punishing people for the crimes that other people are doing, is unjust and unAmerican. Making online content directed at children is not a VIOLATION of the COPPA law. Harvesting personal information about children is a violation of the COPPA law. No YouTube creator is HARVESTING children's information and the FTC threatening to fine them $42k per video does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!! to stop YouTube and Google from harvesting children's information. And yet, you seem to think "This is a good thing for CHILDREN!"

Oh, BTW, I don't make children's content. I am here defending those that do against unjust tyranny of an AD company that wants to be lazy and immunize themselves against prosecution by passing the buck of responsibility of controlling where ads show, unto the weakest link that has no way to defend themselves.

You are right though, YT has the power to do whatever they want to content creators, but it does not make it right or just, or even logical. There are plenty of other options to handle this problem, that would be much more effective than punishing innocent, hardworking creators for a crime they did not commit.

Here. Educate yourself.

I'll watch this tonight after work.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I wonder if putting a disclaimer screen in the beginning of your videos stating that your video is not intend for children would hold any weight. I would think so
There is no such thing as overkill, when it comes to avoiding a $42K per video fine. The issue at hand is the way things are worded. The guidelines for what is Child-Directed content is full of words like, Appealing and Attractive. These words are vague with no clear definition. Anytime legal guidelines are written with such vague language by the Federal government, it is really dangerous. I had a good friend that spent five years in federal prison because he took out a personal loan to help a friend in a time of need and stay out of foreclosure on his house. My friend is an old farmer who never learned to read. He has a heart condition and he was 74 at the time of his conviction. He had never had even a parking ticket in his life. A federal prosecutor sent him to prison for five years for "Federal Money Laundering" because his friend used some of the money that he lent him to make payments on his mortgage. Five years after the loan was paid back in full, my friend was thrown in prison for helping a friend in need. You really don't want to take chances with the Feds. They sent a white-haired 74-year-old illiterate old man, a simple farmer with heart problems to a maximum-security penitentiary were he had to sleep on the floor because he could not climb to the top bunk. All because he took out a personal load to help his friend in need. YES, this happened in the United States of America.

kalamingo

Reaction score
Punishing people for the crimes that other people are doing, is unjust and unAmerican. Making online content directed at children is not a VIOLATION of the COPPA law. Harvesting personal information about children is a violation of the COPPA law. No YouTube creator is HARVESTING children's information and the FTC threatening to fine them $42k per video does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!! to stop YouTube and Google from harvesting children's information.
Minors are legally allowed to create a YouTube account provided a parent approves the child's account and knows that user data is being collected. Google paid a fine for collecting more data then they should and now are no longer allowed to sell targeted ads using that data, so both Google/Creators can't profit for them. I don't see how FTC is doing "absolutely nothing" to stop Google from harvesting minor data (they already fined them and settled), and legally a parent has approved of their account.

And yet, you seem to think "This is a good thing for CHILDREN!"
Yes this is a good thing. Kids these days are glued to YouTube and they don't need to be brainwashed into "needing" products that were targeted to them via personalised ads or integrated into creator content.

There are plenty of other options to handle this problem, that would be much more effective than punishing innocent, hardworking creators for a crime they did not commit.
Again, you use words like punishing innocent creators. YouTube has given million of creators a platform to make money and a career off, that's something to be grateful about. They're now doing what's necessary based on their legal obligations which sadly means some people can't monetise off this anymore. Please come up with those amazing options you speak off and if they're really that great I'm sure it'll reach the right ears.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Minors are legally allowed to create a YouTube account provided a parent approves the child's account and knows that user data is being collected. Google paid a fine for collecting more data then they should and now are no longer allowed to sell targeted ads using that data, so both Google/Creators can't profit for them. I don't see how FTC is doing "absolutely nothing" to stop Google from harvesting minor data (they already fined them and settled), and legally a parent has approved of their account.

Yes this is a good thing. Kids these days are glued to YouTube and they don't need to be brainwashed into "needing" products that were targeted to them via personalised ads or integrated into creator content.

Again, you use words like punishing innocent creators. YouTube has given million of creators a platform to make money and a career off, that's something to be grateful about. They're now doing what's necessary based on their legal obligations which sadly means some people can't monetise off this anymore. Please come up with those amazing options you speak off and if they're really that great I'm sure it'll reach the right ears.

I believe we are too far apart to meet in the middle, you are failing to hear what I am saying because you have made your mind up that you will refuse to understand and misinterpret everything Have a great day.

Star Wars Geek

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums and you're lucky post #1 that pushed me to making my account. Sounds like your over reacting a little. YouTube is s**t at a lot of things but this is just spewing rubbish. All their doing is enabling a new flag to say if a video is for kids, or not for kids, and no longer selling ad spots to advertisers that used to be able to target this demographics. Google's losing money, and so are kids content creators. Party's over for a lot of people, it's the right thing to do and should have been so from the very start. Be glad you did earn some money while it lasted.

A lot of entitlement with this one here. As a creator, YouTube owes us nothing. We live in a world where we can film content, edit and upload, and potentially reach millions all within 24 hours, and earn money off it, compared to how traditional TV works. You can still make non kid content and make money there. But if you want to make kid content, the platform that previously was selling ad spots is no longer doing that, so you've lost your one and only sales person and again they don't owe you anything.

What the FTC is doing is stopping Walt Disney from having their ads show up on YouTube channel that kids watch. No one said anything about it being illegal to make children directed content. All toy companies make advertising that targets children, but the other mediums they put it on like TV, papers etc are more controlled and are not where children's eyes are glued to for hours in a day.

FTC did the right thing for children here, YouTube is simply complying and letting creators take onus of what they create, and some kid content creators just need to let go and move on.
The right thing isn't being done here. This is the FTC doing something to simply make a group of people feel good about themselves. The problem at hand is Google was collecting information on children. The argument that didn't hold up is that it is a platform for 13 and up. That didn't hold up because children can be logged in using their parents account. Now do people really think that all children are watching is kids content? Sure there are creators making videos in bad taste with cartoon/child characters that got the attention of children. But do you really think they aren't watching other videos that are not intended for children? Maybe they watch Casey Neistat, Zach King, Logan Paul. How about any of the trending videos because they show up on the front page of YouTube. It will still happen. Look, I'm not pleased one bit about this because I feel like I fall in a grey area. Yes, I do toy reviews. Specifically Star Wars toys but my channel has always been about the Collector, not if there is play value for children. It isn't about the reduced monetization either. Seriously, I make just over a buck a day. I think I'll be ok. There are many creators that this will hurt. What upsets me more is that if I play it safe and label myself as a kids channel I lose much more. I lose the ability for people to comment on my videos, the fact that my videos won't be suggested on other videos to be watched, subscribers won't be notified of my new videos, the ability to share my videos will be taken away. In the end, children will still be on the platform watching videos on their parents device. Which don't get me wrong, if a parent is fine with it then party on. Keep in mind the law is about the collection of information. I as a creator am not collecting any information and yet I better watch my back or the FTC will sue me for $42k a video for what? What information have I collected? What law will I have broken?

• Love
Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
The right thing isn't being done here. This is the FTC doing something to simply make a group of people feel good about themselves. The problem at hand is Google was collecting information on children. The argument that didn't hold up is that it is a platform for 13 and up. That didn't hold up because children can be logged in using their parents account. Now do people really think that all children are watching is kids content? Sure there are creators making videos in bad taste with cartoon/child characters that got the attention of children. But do you really think they aren't watching other videos that are not intended for children? Maybe they watch Casey Neistat, Zach King, Logan Paul. How about any of the trending videos because they show up on the front page of YouTube. It will still happen. Look, I'm not pleased one bit about this because I feel like I fall in a grey area. Yes, I do toy reviews. Specifically Star Wars toys but my channel has always been about the Collector, not if there is play value for children. It isn't about the reduced monetization either. Seriously, I make just over a buck a day. I think I'll be ok. There are many creators that this will hurt. What upsets me more is that if I play it safe and label myself as a kids channel I lose much more. I lose the ability for people to comment on my videos, the fact that my videos won't be suggested on other videos to be watched, subscribers won't be notified of my new videos, the ability to share my videos will be taken away. In the end, children will still be on the platform watching videos on their parents device. Which don't get me wrong, if a parent is fine with it then party on. Keep in mind the law is about the collection of information. I as a creator am not collecting any information and yet I better watch my back or the FTC will sue me for $42k a video for what? What information have I collected? What law will I have broken?
Finally, someone else gets it! Thank you for being a rational intelligent person.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I agree. I have no ads and no way to collect data on anyone, nor do I want to. Why should I get a fine if I marked my channel as not for kids but because I'm talking about John Cena YouTube decided to mark my channel as being for kids and now kids are watching me swear. It shouldn't be my fault.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I agree. I have no ads and no way to collect data on anyone, nor do I want to. Why should I get a fine if I marked my channel as not for kids but because I'm talking about John Cena YouTube decided to mark my channel as being for kids and now kids are watching me swear. It shouldn't be my fault.
Also who says John Cena is for kids? Sure he might be for kids if he's not wrestling but should the WWE be for kids? I don't think so even though kids watch WWE.