Is making YouTube videos a real job? (article)

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Link to article: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-28/youtube-youtubers-newtubers-online-jobs-film-careers/10428098

Sample:

More than 100 Australian YouTube channels earn more than $100,000 and another 2,000 channels earn between $1,000 and $100,000. Worldwide, more than three million YouTube creators make money from the content they upload. So is this a career to aspire to?

There is a broad fascination with the possibility of giving up your day job to make money from YouTube. Stories of people coming from obscurity to earn fame and fortune producing videos for online audiences are now commonplace — but how possible is it, really, to make a living from YouTube?

As a QUT Creative Industries lecturer, I have seen a sustained shift in student focus towards YouTube as a way to build profile and translate that profile into a career.

Does that mean online video now replaces TV as the screen where aspiring Australians imagine their media careers will blossom? Not exactly. TV still has the cultural cachet and the mass media "cut-through" to broad sections of society we still respect.

So is a career on YouTube now more viable for our students than aiming for the traditionally understood career on TV? Almost certainly.....

Click for rest of the article

Thoughts ?

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It might be considered a full time job, as you need to film, edit and promote the videos. The more famous ones, need to go on tours to meet fans and get connections and stuff. That´s my thoughts on it though! It takes more than people might expect!

Reactions: Crown

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Let’s say you wanted to sell picture frames from your house. You’d start with nothing out time and money into it and if you do it well could make it a job. YouTube is no different

Reactions: Hulio and Crown

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
If you can live off your Youtube revenue (as well as anything else related to your overall brand), then yeah, I'd consider it a job. If you're still working a 9-5 and Youtubing on the side, I'd consider that either a side-hustle or a hobby.

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It could definitely be a career/full-time job. Depending on what you create for the audience can have a huge toll on you like a 9-5 job. It's no different. You're still working.

Reactions: Courtney Candice

NickDodd

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Other
Take LinusTechTips for example, not only is Linus making a career out of YouTube, but he is providing careers for a large staff, albeit he does get a lot of money from sponsorships and brand affiliations... its all because of YouTube.

nickdodd.ca | NickDoddTV | twitter | instagram | YouTube

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A lot of people don't know what goes into creating content. They underestimate it greatly. When they learn there is 20+ hours of work in a 15 minute car review they all act surprised.

Reactions: NickDodd

NickDodd

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Other
A lot of people don't know what goes into creating content. They underestimate it greatly. When they learn there is 20+ hours of work in a 15 minute car review they all act surprised.
Ditto on that. My second video which is 15 minutes took 13 hours of filming and driving, and 20+ hours to edit.

If I had a bigger channel and was actually making money that's almost an entire work week that would definitely be considered a "job"

nickdodd.ca | NickDoddTV | twitter | instagram | YouTube

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It is self employment, as far as I am concerned if you need to file taxes for whatever you do then its a form of a job.

xJJayyy

Reaction score
I think it should be looked at as a real full-time job. You have to come up with an interesting video idea, film it, edit it, create a thumbnail, and post it. I agree that the typical sit-down video might not be too hard to make but some people can take days to make a really high-quality video and maybe put in the same hours as a normal 9-5 job.

Reactions: NickDodd