Is It Worth Starting A Second Channel?

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
So recently I have been very much getting to urge to start a second channel but in a completely different niche to my main channel, but I have some hesitations and questions.

First a bit of background, I set up my main channel (Which is a gaming channel) about 1.5 years ago and have been posting pretty much daily for that time, i'm now approaching 2k subs and just passed 500k views. Whilst i've certainly made a load of mistakes i've actually really enjoyed the last year and fully plan to keep this as my main project going forwards and i'd like to try and keep to the daily uploads.

I think its also worth pointing out that when I started I was one of the classic idiots who thought that setting up a youtube gaming channel would be a quick and easy way to quick money, how wrong that turned out to be! As it turns out though I ended up loving the video creation process and I love interacting with my community and that is now the main drive behind my channel.

However, I have also long been interested in entrepreneurship and run a few small businesses on the side, so have often thought about setting up a second channel to focus on this as it's obviously a completely different niche to my main. I do however, have quite a few concerns with this!

- Am I likely to be overwhelming myself by taking on to much, creating daily videos + working full time is already pretty challenging,adding in extra videos on another channel may be to much work and I'd be worry i'd end up neglecting my main channel?

- I feel like i've learn't so much over the past year or so that i'd be able to do a much better job now starting a second channel, but i'm not sure if thats true or i'm just to optimistic?

- I'd by lying to myself if I denied that the much higher CPM rates of financial related videos isn't attractive (although this isn't by any means my main drive at this point!)

So i'd really welcome any other thoughts? Do any of you also run multiple channels in different niches? How much extra work is it?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Am I likely to be overwhelming myself by taking on to much, creating daily videos + working full time is already pretty challenging,adding in extra videos on another channel may be to much work and I'd be worry i'd end up neglecting my main channel?
Possibly. I never recommend daily uploads on a new channel because it sets a very high bar that is very hard to maintain. How about you start making your videos at a rate of say 1 or 2 a week without publishing them? Put them all to private and keep making them at a pace that won't overwhelm you until you have a stock of say 10+ videos and then you make them public at a rate of 1 or 2 per week while continuing to make 1-2 videos per week. That will help take the pressure off.

I feel like i've learn't so much over the past year or so that i'd be able to do a much better job now starting a second channel, but i'm not sure if thats true
I would definitely agree. You'll be hitting the ground running on the second channel.

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I really like that idea of building up a number of videos before starting the channel,that will give me a really nice buffer and time to see how I get on creating the videos before I get started :)

Reactions: Crown