Is it weird that I don't want people I know watching my vids?

Hell

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Ranter, Commentator
I kept my channel a secret for a long time to anyone I knew in real life. I felt like the whole thing was quite embrassing to talk about, especially if they brang it up in public.
Recently though I've had to tell people my channel name, since I've been working on a video with my friends and they kept bugging me to tell them.
I feel like my self esteem has gone up sightly after sharing my channel, since some people I know actually find my videos funny. Sure, you get them few saying "delete your channel it's cringe" but I know it's cringe anyway. Plus my channel has become a inside joke between me and my friends.
But yeah it's a common thing to feel worried. You never know what they could say, so it's normal to feel like that. Another point is people who enjoy your content will subscribe and help you build an audience. You'll know it's just not family and friends trying to help you out.

Reactions: Merlina Rodas

MySkinnyplate

Reaction score
I feel the same way. I'm more open and honest on my channel because the people in my niche are very supportive to the point where I can be myself and say anything whereas my family and friends just expect me to be a certain way. I'm too shy talking to people I know in my real life about certain things. Youtube helps me open up more like a video diary.

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I actively avoid telling people about my channel. In fact, the beautiful thing about Youtube is I can pull the plug and delete my channel the instant someone I know finds it.

As for getting over the fear, I'm sure as you see growth and become more confident in your channel, it won't be such a big deal.
I agree with GrimPeter, if anyone I know finds out about my channel I have a deadman's switch that will destroy the contents of my channel and MacBook Pro.

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You don't have to show them if you don't want to. I was afraid to do this at first, never wanted to. At the end of the day, I said fu*k it. I can't be afraid to show my videos. I took that leap of courage. All of a sudden, I got alot of good feedback and support! it was great. they love my content and they keep watching them.

yet it still feels weird sometimes lol, but its okay.

maarcnig

itsLIT!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Honestly yes. Some of my friends find it weird that I make YouTube videos but some find it funny and interesting. Personally, I don't care too much about what others think because it's something I enjoy doing. Also, it's a great way to store memories, something I can look back at. Heh :spin:

Daisyah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No! I was the same way :biggrin: I just thought it be awkward to know that they watched my videos. I'm like a month and a week in and I just started telling people I know. And guess what ? It's so helpful because I'm getting new subscribers and views. I think to get over your anxiety or "fear" about it is to realize it will help your account when your coworkers, friends or families.

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It really depends on your content but it is rather normal.
Just keep in mind that YT uses your IP to spread your videos so your colleagues, neighbors could be some of the first people to see them!

AdmUp

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Some of my friends found out and niggled me about it for a while but then they were fine with it, then my family found out and they wouldn't shut up about it. One of the reasons I deleted my old channel. It was a place I could vent and talk openly and didn't really feel being myself in my videos anymore. I refuse to record any kind of video in the house while they are home. One of the reasons I hardly get to record too.

Lekjih

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It really depends on your content but it is rather normal.
Just keep in mind that YT uses your IP to spread your videos so your colleagues, neighbors could be some of the first people to see them!
Luckily my IP seems to think I'm not in my local area then!

I don't think this is a weird feeling at all. I think it's so common because families aren't people we chose, they're people that luck of the draw landed us with and most people I know are not themselves around their parents and family. Normally they're more uptight, most are waiting for criticism or that "friendly" "just teasing" about things that are actually quite important to the person involved. I know I'm -more- me on camera, more confident and friendly, but I'm still off slightly. I personally don't like the idea of sharing to friends aside from my very best friend because most of my friends are leftover from secondary school and more than a few of them remember me as "that weirdo with the ultra long hair who draws dragons". The description I don't mind, the condescension and general attitude and nastiness I can do without.

Addie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It's not weird at all, its totally understandable. I feel the same way. I've only just started telling my close friends about my channel and really pushing myself to open about it. But it took me a long time to get to this point.