Is it okay to change direction / branding of your channel?

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I've noticed that my niche is very saturated and not growing. I still have a lot of interest in the LEGO community but there are other things I'd like to be filming and sharing as well. I was wondering if it would be good to change direction of my channel to make it more general and make niche videos with the help of the playlist feature or if it is more effective to just create a whole new channel.

I don't want to spread the content too thin through different channels but at the same time I don't want to bog down a channel with too much variety of content.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: GameVestment

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It´s ok to change niches, as long as you tell your subscribers about it and gradually change it.

Reactions: Spence Bailey

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. It looks like there isn't really a reason NOT to change direction [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: darksmokeyt

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think if you had thousands of engaged subs it would be difficult to changes genres.
With my first channel I had around 1000 subs and it was a mish mash of automotive / family / home / health vids and I rebranded to an automotive channel and it continues to grow today.

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
Thinking about this question as a viewer, I would say it depends on the magnitude of changes you are going for. If you are going for entirely different topics I would start a new channel. Your content library might create some confusion to future subscribers. But that’s just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Good luck with the changes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
Thinking about this question as a viewer, I would say it depends on the magnitude of changes you are going for. If you are going for entirely different topics I would start a new channel. Your content library might create some confusion to future subscribers. But that’s just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Good luck with the changes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is a good point. I don't think I am getting rid of the videos I was doing. It's still a hobby and interest of mine (LEGO) but I want to reflect other things that I do in my daily life as well. I'm not doing a complete 180, rather adding extra content and making it seem more personal rather than just being "that LEGO guy".

The more I tread into this water I think I will be okay for now just because my sub count is so low right now, I don't think I will throw anyone for too big of a loop.

Reactions: darksmokeyt

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think you should do whatever makes you happy!

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah, of course you can change and experiment to see what works the best. Is difficult to do it if you have many subs or an audience that subscribed for a certain topic but if you are new you can always try new things and see if that can works.

For example in my case,, I'm kind of scared of trying another game like Fortnite but I'm still too small so I guess I can do it, I will only be careful and post 2 videos that day so people will not complain I'm changing my content or something. The best subscribers are the ones that will watch ANYTHING you post,, no matter what it is