Is it officially too late to start YouTube as a career?

Ralph Mickey

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
most people forget, the main income from big channels is not youtube ad revenue! it's sponsors, product placement, brand deals and things alike! that's where the big money comes in! you also have your own brand which you can market with a website, a ecommerce (sell fan cloth, caps, whatever)
there is also a huge part of income depending on your content in donations / patreon!
Very true Alex. And another thing I have noticed is that not everyone who starts a channel stays with it. There are many that try it and let it go due to multiple reasons. Not saying that's a good thing but it does make the "competing" channels part more realistic and bearable.

BTW: Love how you have done your signature. May have to take a lesson from you.

Reactions: SimplyAlexTV

SimplyAlexTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ha thanks @Ralph Mickey! I guess there are a lot of people that want to jump on the youtube train as they see other "big" youtubers blog and feel like they are little stars. BUT first of all most of them do only PRETEND to have such a cool and easy life because thats what most people like to watch. Second it's not a switch you can toggle to be super famous all the sudden! I personally like to post stuff on the internets and if some people like it, thats great, if not? well i had fun doing it anyways. I don't feel that you can lern to be TOP youtuber, either you are one and just haven't tried it or had not luck getting noticed jet - or you simply are not that kind of person that does attract people.
It's the same as in real life tho, there are people that can hang at a club and be surrounded by people because they think you are interesting/cool/hip/silly/whatever but you cannot LEARN to be that kind of person. At least in my opinion.

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
After being on this platform for just under 9 months I can honestly say I have never felt more driven and energetic about succeeding. I've learnt so much over these past few months and I've seen my content quality vastly improve. Youtube wants you to succeed, because if you do, they do as well. Youtube is still very much a baby in terms of how far it can reach, and it's never been a more exciting time to be a youtuber. I was a food blogger for 6 years and I didn't get even half the recognition that I have on the platform in 9 months. When I started our I didn't even dream I'd get 100 subscribers by this time,let alone about to hit 500.
watch?v=yWSuLngfaEc

^ Nice video, I like your attitude! Delicious hotdog. I'm going to have to test it out soon.

Gave you a some thumbs up. :)

Trippst3r

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
I can't bring myself to read through every post in this thread, but to be brief: no. YouTube is a vast platform with many ways other than just direct advertisements to make money. As I did see in another post, YouTube will find a balance and make things work as "normal" eventually. Just keep doing what you do and people will come. As you grow your audience, it opens more doors for money making opportunities that are aside from ads on your videos.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I guess now would be an awesome time to try and build a fanbase around your channel, while not making a lot of money of yet, it is an investment for the future, when youtube find that balance so you could earn some money.
bear in mind that it might take a while, and have something on the side.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No it is not too late and it will never be. If you make quality content there will be plenty of ways to make money. You could get a sponsor for instance. But again you need good content but of course you can make money from YT.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I think that this is a great time to start a career with YouTube. There has never been so much free advice and assistance available, it has such a huge share of internet traffic, and as others have pointed out there are so many other ways to gain revenue apart from monetisation.

In many ways a YouTube channel is similar to any other business though. YouTube is full of gaming channels and kids toy channels, and whilst this can be a good thing if your channel deals with either of those fields it does mean that you are going to have to offer something really quite special if you want to gain market share. Just copying what others are doing will probably not bring you success...unless you are VERY good at it.

For channels dealing with niche topics YouTube is a wonderful tool, and I really enjoy reading posts on here from people who have videos about lawn care, lucid dreams, or explaining complex financial matters. I wouldn't necessarily watch all of their videos...but I take my hat off to them for using YouTube in such an effective manner.

Going back to the original post, I'm sure that the advertiser strike is just a storm in a teacup and will quickly pass. YouTube have already reacted in a positive manner, and in any case online advertising is a booming business with YouTube very much in people's sites. My advice for a young person who has no particular ties or responsibilities and wants a career with YouTube is "Go for it!"

Reactions: KidsCorner

Malasia

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
May be a bit difficult but never too late

BeThatGuy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If your channel is big, just make a website for the channel and embed the youtube videos there, with your own ads playing. Content creators forget they have this option.
Thats a fantastic idea!!