Is it necessary to format an SD card?

Brittneytaylorwg

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay so for Easter I got a special gift from my mom (sd card) instead of extra candy and I've never formatted an sd card before and they've worked fine but someone said I should format then. I don't know if I should be doing this and I don't know how?

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I suppose it more or less depends on the camera you are using the SD card for. For me I have the Canon XC15 an SLR camera and if you don't format the cards the camera will not work whatsoever with it. Every so often it's good re-format the same card on the camera to clear up some of the ghost data that's left over from the individual files after deleting them through my computer. I always rename my files for filming projects so it doesn't really bother me.

I'm sure there are more reasons as to why you should format your card but for me those are the couple of reasons as to why I do. Hope that helps a bit. =]

As to how there should be an option in your camera menu. Wherever the quality options are. Usually it's located around there.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
For a start, you format it in the camera/dslr you are going to use it.
After that, depending on the use. For example when I use a card I usually full it with shots.
First I backup, then I double backup (for editing) and then leave the card in the card wallet.
The next time I get to pack for a shoot I simply format everything on the camera/dslr that the card goes.
Even if I do not full a card, I use this routine mostly for backup reasons.
It is frustrating to go places and realize that cards are half empty or not remembering if you downloaded the footage / stills.
:) :p

Reactions: Brittneytaylorwg

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have also heard that it helps prevent card corruption if you format your card frequently. I format my cards within the camera like once every few months just in case. Especially since it only takes a few moments.

Reactions: Brittneytaylorwg