Is it legal to buy already monetized channel for starting a new channel

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
I know of a few larger channels that have 'given' their side channels to others to own and operate.
They rebranded the channels and carried on like it was their own. Seems to have not caused any issue. Maybe because it was a fully transparent switch over by the channel owners to all subs?

Personally I sub to channels with content I wish to watch. If ABC 'sold' to 'DEF' and 'DEF' rebranded / deleted previous content / uploading different content - I would quickly unsub.
Thanks for your answer EVO. In this case, the whole purpose of buying as I see it is not to get subs but to get full monetization without having to work hard to meet criteria and without having to wait for monetization after criteria is met.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for your answer EVO. In this case, the whole purpose of buying as I see it is not to get subs but to get full monetization without having to work hard to meet criteria and without having to wait for monetization after criteria is met.
How about if this new channel owner loses the subs / required watch time and eventually falls back to non monetised?

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
How about if this new channel owner loses the subs / required watch time and eventually falls back to non monetised?
I don't really think losing monetization status is an automatic action. I believe it was a one-off in February and once a channel made it back then, it will keep it even if they fall below 4000 hours or 1000 subs.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have 2 channels that were both monetised for 4 years but no longer meet the requirements so were demonestised until they reach the requirements again.

Abhijit

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don't really think losing monetization status is an automatic action. I believe it was a one-off in February and once a channel made it back then, it will keep it even if they fall below 4000 hours or 1000 subs.
If you fall below 4000 hours of watch time in 365 days you will lose the monetization.

You have to maintain both condition to be able to keep the moentization coming.

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
If you fall below 4000 hours of watch time in 365 days you will lose the monetization.

You have to maintain both condition to be able to keep the moentization coming.
I checked socialblade profile of one such channel - they didn't have 4000 hours for at least a week about 2 weeks ago - after they removed old videos, yet fully monetized. It doesn't happen automatically. I strongly believe 4000 & 1000 are just conditions to join YTPP, not to remain in it.[DOUBLEPOST=1526596202,1526596097][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have 2 channels that were both monetised for 4 years but no longer meet the requirements so were demonestised until they reach the requirements again.
But they were demonetized in February as per YT announcement in January, right? What I'm trying to say is I don't believe demonetization happens automatically upon falling below 4000 hours or 1000 subs.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
As the eligibility requirement is rolled over from month to month, If you were to drop from 1000 subs to 990, you would lose your monetization until you exceeded 1000 again; same with watch time hours.

4000 in past 365 this month, and monetization remains. Less than 4000 watch time hours and the monetization will be lost until watch time hours climb to or above 4000 in past 365 days.

Every Top Contributor on the YT Help Forum is saying that buying or selling channels is against the Terms; so I wouldn't risk it if I were the OP.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Irrelevant question.

Doesn't a mass video deletion affect negatively the overall channel's performance?

?

Reactions: UKHypnotist

ASMR Amour

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am pretty sure this is against the terms of service for youtube, so I would not do this. I am sure alot of people will try to sell people channels that meat the monetization requirments alot more now because of the changes, but I would avoid it hardcore. Putting in the work for your own channel to get to that point is so much more satisfying. I am getting close to that point and I am so proud of myself for doing it on my own with honest hard work

Reactions: UKHypnotist