Is it legal to buy already monetized channel for starting a new channel

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hi All,

I noticed a few cases where people buy established monetized channels, delete all previous videos, rename it and start uploading their own videos, which are monetized. To me it certainly looks like cheating the system. Is it even legal?

Thanks.

Reactions: cbpayne

Primink

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
deleted

Last edited:
Reactions: RTT

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
1. Its not legal - its against YT's terms and condition
2. Unless you have your own adsense account, you can't do it as it will not be possible to change the payee name on the adsense account
3. If you did delete all the videos, the channel would loose monetization because it drops below the 4000hrs of watch time.

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
1. Its not legal - its against YT's terms and condition
2. Unless you have your own adsense account, you can't do it as it will not be possible to change the payee name on the adsense account
3. If you did delete all the videos, the channel would loose monetization because it drops below the 4000hrs of watch time.
Thanks a lot for your answer!
1. Could you please point me at exact place in YT terms and conditions where they say it's against their policies?
2. Yes sure Adsense account gets changed I believe.
3. I don't really think losing monetization is automatic. I think it was one-off event on 20th of February or so.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
3. YouTube Accounts
  1. In order to access some features of the Service, you will have to create a YouTube or Google Account. You may never use another's account without permission. When creating your account, you must provide accurate and complete information. You are solely responsible for the activity that occurs on your account, and you must keep your account password secure. You must notify YouTube immediately of any breach of security or unauthorized use of your account
Youtube might argue that someone else has unauthorised use of the account, and will close the channel!

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
3. YouTube Accounts
  1. In order to access some features of the Service, you will have to create a YouTube or Google Account. You may never use another's account without permission. When creating your account, you must provide accurate and complete information. You are solely responsible for the activity that occurs on your account, and you must keep your account password secure. You must notify YouTube immediately of any breach of security or unauthorized use of your account
Youtube might argue that someone else has unauthorised use of the account, and will close the channel!
Thanks, but the way I look at it, selling or giving away account is not against their terms and conditions. They specifically say about unauthorized access, so when someone sells or gives away their account they authorize using it by a different person.

Is there a place to ask this question for an official answer?

Thanks!

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I could guess that Youtube wouldn´t know if there´s an authorised or unauthorised access to the account, and might close the channel anyway.
Why do you want to buy a channel anyway? Why not do the hard work and create your own fanbase?

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
I could guess that Youtube wouldn´t know if there´s an authorised or unauthorised access to the account, and might close the channel anyway.
Why do you want to buy a channel anyway? Why not do the hard work and create your own fanbase?
Well actually I'm doing the hard work now but noticed some in my niche are taking short cut. :stomp: Trying to understand if it's legal. If not then I'll complain to get them deleted :bounce:

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know of a few larger channels that have 'given' their side channels to others to own and operate.
They rebranded the channels and carried on like it was their own. Seems to have not caused any issue. Maybe because it was a fully transparent switch over by the channel owners to all subs?

Personally I sub to channels with content I wish to watch. If ABC 'sold' to 'DEF' and 'DEF' rebranded / deleted previous content / uploading different content - I would quickly unsub.

Reactions: RTT