Is it just me or does it seem like youtube going downhill?

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think it depends on which side of the coin you're on. I think if you're struggling / trying to make it then there are definitely times that feel like this. When you build your following up more and you are able to have more of a voice, then I think it's different. I thought for a long time that YouTube wasn't used that much and I was very very wrong. I also psyched myself out for a long time with the thinking that I was "too late" ... don't think like that either. Heard somewhere that "the best time to plant a tree is 10 years ago. the next best time is today."

With technology getting so integrated into our lives more and more each day, I think YouTube is only going to continue to grow, become better, and more and more in our lives - especially those who don't frequent YouTube. The only concern I have is that there is a big opportunity for a similar video hosting company to sweep in, do it better, and make YouTube a "dated" product.

Naybor

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Nah, I feel like it may be harder to make a name for yourself on Youtube now with so many creators vying for attention. But as for youtube itself? I feel like it's stronger than ever as a platform. Before I became a creator, Youtube and Netflix were pretty much the only "entertainment" I watched :)

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It's a zero-sum game, so if some channels are losing views, then there must be other channels gaining them. :)
^ This. February was my best month yet since I started YouTube. March has been a looot slower but still not terrible.

YouTube is constantly tweaking the algorithm triggers, so all of a sudden certain channels and SEO strategies might lead to more views - while with others they might all of a sudden dip. It happens.

I definitely think that the big advertisers we've had recently dropping out is something to be concerned about - but I also think that Google is smart enough to tighten ship, be stricter on what content they allow to be monetised, and get them back/get new advertisers. There are also things to look forward to like YouTube TV bringing new people to YouTube who might otherwise be spending time in front of their TV sets.

Overall the number of people using sites like YouTube over watching TV is increasing all the time, and so if you're a creator on YouTube, the potential audience you have available to you is always growing. On a less positive note, CPM/ad rates are constantly in a steady decline, but even that said: as more people flock to YouTube and more niches carve themselves out, this makes for more income opportunities outside of ad revenue: Better brand deals, product opportunities, etc.

So overall I see the future of YouTube as a positive one, but just like any journey there are ups and downs: Good things coming, and bad things coming. Sunny weather, and heavy storms.

Reactions: Crown

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Part of it is seasonal.
Now that the elections are over and there's less drama to talk about, views are starting to go down for a lot of channels that banked on that kinda thing.

BitPig20

Reaction score
Ever since YouTube leaked the Upcoming Changes, YouTube's all over the internet have been freaking out over it. I have noticed that there are rumors about YouTube restrictions on certain channels, and giving them ratings. Also, I have heard things about YouTube revenue being cut, and views being hidden from a youtuber's videos. YouTube might need to rethink their policies pretty soon.

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Their team is just sorting things out. I think they realized the way YouTube is setup right now many people who are "extremist" on YouTube, or in other words doing outrageous things on YouTube for Views forcing companies to not associate themselves with YouTube in a way to save themselves from negative remarks about association with these fore mentioned "extremist" as long as you aren't one of these do anything for views kind of YouTuber's you'll be fine. As an organization I don't think YouTube/Google is too happy with a part of their content creator base right now. So to combat that they are implementing new rules and regulations that's all.

--

Best of Luck

AdmUp

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Facebook has picked up a lot of steam. A video that has 1 million views on YouTube will have over 2 million on Facebook. Mainly because the share button is right underneath the video and will immediately appear on their friends feed. It's being integrated straight into social media where Google tried to do the same with Google+ but failed because it was utter garbage and no one wanted it. The only place you can recommend videos on youtube is other platforms like twitter.