Is it ever possible to get big on youtube?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's like a tv network but for youtube. Jake paul and most other popular people are on one. They supposedly increase your views and whatnot, though some do nothing but take your money
Thanks Jules. I appreciate your input. I think it is better to grow organically.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Show me proof of the 99.9% stat. Otherwise you are simply making up statistics. Do you really not know all factors that influence growth?

Yeah, have a nice day.
You show me proof I am wrong. Bye bye!

Sunsbookishgamesx

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
s
yes. and no. Sometimes I think that unless you are with a network that you won't have a chance, because anyone who suddenly had tons of subs out of nowhere signed with a network :(
so do you think i should sign to a network

Archieonic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You show me proof I am wrong. Bye bye!
There's plenty to grab, and the main thing is, I wasn't the one "claiming" as a fact that "if you don't go big in 6 months, you will never do it", so if anything, I'd like to see some solid evidence that no channel has blown up after being unknown past 6 months, otherwise you are pulling stats out of thin air. Bye bye!

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There's plenty to grab, and the main thing is, I wasn't the one "claiming" as a fact that "if you don't go big in 6 months, you will never do it", so if anything, I'd like to see some solid evidence that no channel has blown up after being unknown past 6 months, otherwise you are pulling stats out of thin air. Bye bye!
It is a fact most YouTubers get big early on. DoItWithDan, 6Foot4Honda got big early on. Got plenty more where that came from too. So if you don't get big early, it is unlikely you'll get big later. They got big early because they have the personality, the X factor. if you don't get big early on you are missing that. So it is highly unlikely you will grow to the fabled 100K+ subscriber base. Which is pretty much right next to never. It is called being a realist. Keep dreaming. You're 3 months in. We'll have a conversation in 3-4 years. If you last that long. My prediction? You won't. You'll get so disenfranchised due to the lack of views and subscribers you'll quit. And then you'll think back at what you read and say: The guy was right. And if I wasn't right? Well, I'll take one for the team. I like my odds however.

Archieonic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It is a fact most YouTubers get big early on. DoItWithDan, 6Foot4Honda got big early on. Got plenty more where that came from too. So if you don't get big early, it is unlikely you'll get big later. They got big early because they have the personality, the X factor. if you don't get big early on you are missing that. So it is highly unlikely you will grow to the fabled 100K+ subscriber base. Which is pretty much right next to never. It is called being a realist. Keep dreaming. You're 3 months in. We'll have a conversation in 3-4 years. If you last that long. My prediction? You won't. You'll get so disenfranchised due to the lack of views and subscribers you'll quit. And then you'll think back at what you read and say: The guy was right. And if I wasn't right? Well, I'll take one for the team. I like my odds however.
Ah, of course. If you don't get big early, you are missing the "X factor", the "personality". Clearly nothing to do with Youtube's algorithm, nothing to do with how you SEO, nothing to do with what type of market you are targeting and when, nothing to do with capitalizing on trending markets, nothing to do with aiming for a gateway video. No, it is as simple as "if you have the X factor, you will explode in 6 months whether you are a gaming channel or a pancake cooking lessons' channel. You'll put a few dozen videos on a saturated market and somehow, Youtube will recommend your videos with 5-10 views, tweets will get wildly viral, somehow everyone will see your pre-100 sub channel and think "wow, I must subscribe!". No, it is not a fact, it's your own self-made up fact.

I won't last that long? It seems you have the wrong idea. Were you aiming for fame and money? Then I can tell why you failed. I'm quite happy breaking 1k subscribers within 3 months in a market that is beyond saturated. I'm quite happy that they aren't just numbers but active people that acknowledge my ideology that mine is not just a channel, but a community. What I do, I've been doing since I was 3 years old, only difference is I record and edit now. So really, if I don't get big, I did not lose anything, but I did gain a lot. I have my full time job which provides me the economic sustain I need, I'm not aiming to be famous, to make a living off Youtube. Most of the channels I watch started with nothing, or in college, with crappy videos just having a laugh.

You call it being a realist? Great. I call it being a pessimist.

And yes, I will keep dreaming, since it seems with just 3 months in, thanks to this and other smaller Youtuber communities, I got a pretty decent understanding of how Youtube seems to handle small channels. Whereas I enjoy and have fun doing what I do, I can guess that you didn't really enjoy making videos. You had other goals in mind, and that's something I thankfully won't go through.

Reactions: Smartie and Apcat

Gamie

Reaction score
a little off topic but if i upload video to utube using vpn,will it affect in anyway??

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
In one year, I have gone from nothing to 1300 subs and a good revenue stream. I am by no means big, but I am growing fast and I am just an old guy with an action camera, videoing my daily activities. Let me give you some business advice that applies to all of life. You have two choices when you start any business, find a niche or do it better. Back in the 1990s, Yahoo and Microsoft Internet Explorer were considered unbeatable. Many tech analyst talked about whether anyone could even mount a challenge to these two monopolies that ruled the internet. Many tried and failed. One day a company named "Google" came along and did the exact same thing as Yahoo, but they did a it a lot better. Where is Yahoo now? The unbeatable giant is dead. Then Google made a better browser and guess what? Internet Explorer is dead as well.

So you can break into a market by doing the same thing, you just have to do it better then everyone else. This holds true for youtube, but it is going to be a lot harder, because you are not dealing with one company, you are dealing with millions of creators, all trying to do it better. So the best thing to do is to try to find your niche. This is not to say that there is nobody else out there doing what you want, but try to choose a less popular subject to focus on.

Take Video Gaming videos for instance. Every teenage boy with a computer and screen capture program thinks they can make it big posting videos of them playing video games and talking incoherently off the cuff. 80% of the people on this forum have a youtube channel dedicated to "Video Games", as if there was nothing else in life to be interested in. A good majority of them will go nowhere, but they will have a lot of fun winning at their videos games while they fail at being a youtube success. It's not that what they are doing is bad, it's just that they are in a over saturated market. Think about it like this. Say we were talking about burger joints and not video gaming channels. If you came into a new town to start a business and saw 40 burger joints right next door to each other, would you think it would be a good idea to build another burger joint next to the last one in line? Of course not. Now, if you built a TACO stand there and you would make a killing! Do you see what I am trying to get at?

What I am saying here is that, if you have a passion, but that passion is something that a million people are already doing on youtube; find something less popular to be passionate about if you want to make money on youtube. Or figure out how to do the same thing everyone else is doing, but do it a lot better. Those are the two choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: nsusa and Lightsen