Is it ever possible to get big on youtube?

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Of course. How you do that depends on the niche, depends on who you are, depends on what kind of contacts you have, depends, depends, depends.... Fame is fleeting and really quite impossible to predict, but it happens all over the place for all sorts of reasons.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
If YTtalk is a representative sample of all creators, I would estimate that less than 5% of creators become "big". By big, I'm talking at least 1 million views per month and/or earning over $1k per month.

That's based on my observations of 4 years of being on this site and seeing lots of channels come and go. :)

Go back in time in the intros forum. Check out people who started a channel a year ago for example and introduced themselves. Check out 50 of them and check out their channels. How many of them became "big" - There are probably 1 or 2 at the most.

I'm not being negative. I'm just keeping it real. :)

Reactions: markkaz and Smartie

Will Latimer

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
No. You will know early on if you got what it takes. Most channels blow up in the first 6 months. If this does not happen you can forget about getting big ever. I am living proof of that myself.
I could't disagree more, lets look at McJuggerNuggets created content for 10+ years, only got big when he started the Psycho series (2012) You clearly don't have what it takes because you just want the numbers to rocket sky high in a short period of time, a channel can blow up at anytime with any video/series as long as you keep trying and improving.

Reactions: Apcat

MechaJake

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah I think anyone can skyrocket at any point. It just takes one of your video series (I won't say a single video) to take off. Then people go through the whole playlist, share it, and tahdah. They might not look at your old content, but then I would think it's just about focusing and why that particular line of videos worked so well and making content more in line with that.

Nathan Williams

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do you guys think its possible to get big within the next 5+ years of posting videos every week? no matter what the niche is?
It's 50/50! I know some channels that upload every week but only have 100 subs or just over. You can only continue to give it your best and hope one day you will make it big.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I could't disagree more, lets look at McJuggerNuggets created content for 10+ years, only got big when he started the Psycho series (2012) You clearly don't have what it takes because you just want the numbers to rocket sky high in a short period of time, a channel can blow up at anytime with any video/series as long as you keep trying and improving.
Nope, sorry. Doesn't work that way for 99.9% of the people out there. It's called being a realist. And I am fully aware I don't have what it takes. Otherwise I would have hit that 100K subscriber mark by now. Still creating videos mind you. But in a hobby fashion.

Feel free to try again though. See if you can change my mind. Top tip: Don't waste your energy.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
same sort of thing happened with me, continuous slow growth over 10 years, only started to get somewhere the last 3. I'm not a big channel, but its a hobby turned job for me so I'm happy :)

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
same sort of thing happened with me, continuous slow growth over 10 years, only started to get somewhere the last 3. I'm not a big channel, but its a hobby turned job for me so I'm happy :)
No lie, you could easily get big if you posted every 2 weeks. You have less than 20 videos in the last 10 years, and most of those videos are enjoyable and easily sharable.