is internet hate/harassment a real thing?

oscarflowers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
this may seem like a dumbb question, but this is just my experience so far through being a youtuber for 2/3 weeks and from watching youtube for 6/7 years - i've never seen anyone be hateful. maybe i'm watching channels with too closely knit communities?

every piece of feedback i've gotten has been positive and begging for more content in the future, when you would expect people to be slating the fact that i haven't got professional lights or that my voice is high pitched or something like that. what has your experience with hate been? do you get any, and do you have any tips for dealing with it? (if i end up getting any in the future o-e)

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I believe it's more complex than just harassment/not harassment, for instance if someone who I have no clue who it is insulted me over the internet, I'd probably shrug it off. The moment it came up with credible threats, I'd be concerned, but they still may be void accusations, or for instance if the person kept on circumventing blocks. What is real harassment and no doubt about it is cyberbullying crossed with outside of the internet bullying. In the hypotetical situation someone that already threatens you outside of internet, starts doing it inside it as well, that's the time you have to call autorities because stuff has degenerated past a point of no return. Of course, this does not mean IRL bullying has a reduced importance, and for nutheads on the internet there's always the block function.

The block function and the rise of echo chambers, that's for another topic.

For personal experiences (both apply to Youtube and other websites), I never had credible threats and overtime you grow a thicker skin, so you eventually get used to it, just don't give them any way to continue. I don't suggest blocking for the aforementioned echo chamber risk, just ignore.

Reactions: AmberAndGolden

oscarflowers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I believe it's more complex than just harassment/not harassment, for instance if someone who I have no clue who it is insulted me over the internet, I'd probably shrug it off. The moment it came up with credible threats, I'd be concerned, but they still may be void accusations, or for instance if the person kept on circumventing blocks. What is real harassment and no doubt about it is cyberbullying crossed with outside of the internet bullying. In the hypotetical situation someone that already threatens you outside of internet, starts doing it inside it as well, that's the time you have to call autorities because stuff has degenerated past a point of no return. Of course, this does not mean IRL bullying has a reduced importance, and for nutheads on the internet there's always the block function.

The block function and the rise of echo chambers, that's for another topic.

For personal experiences (both apply to Youtube and other websites), I never had credible threats and overtime you grow a thicker skin, so you eventually get used to it, just don't give them any way to continue. I don't suggest blocking for the aforementioned echo chamber risk, just ignore.
i sure as heck hope i don't get offline hatred, hence why i've kept my real surname and location fairly ambiguous in case such a think did happen. i've no idea what an 'echo chamber' is, but thanks for the advice.

Sibernethy

Questin' for a Jestin'
Reaction score
Website
www.sibernethy.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Think of it like a farmer would. You can spend all day chasing crows from the field or you can get better at planting and tending to your crops. The former halts your progress and might result in a stained shirt. The latter makes it impossible for the pests to cramp your harvest (and your style). You literally outgrow your enemies.

Pity the poor person who finds something to hate me for because I could be out somewhere having a great time while he's getting a kidney stone or stomach ulcers from all that resentment and anger he's carrying inside.

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
O yeah it is a big deal. It is a big because it is hardly ever punishable. What I mean by this, is that you can say something bad about someone in the comments and 99.99% times nothing will happen to you. How can it happen? You are sitting in your chair in your room in your house.

Now try the same when you go out downtown. The probability that you will get hurt suddenly is not in your favor :)

I am sure you hear this before but people who talk trash over internet are keyboard warriors if you ever meet them just ignore them, because they are the best at what they do :D

Reactions: nad

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I've received a few stupid pointless comments calling me names or saying I'm doing a recipe wrong. They just get blocked and I move on. I've had a few people disagree with something I did but are respectful and just want to get their view across. Which is fine and I encourage that. To be honest though my regular viewers are brilliant and very kind. Couldn't ask for a better bunch of subscribers

datguyonYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The key to deal with Internet hate is to not let it affect you, if you get easily devastated by someone saying something "mean" to you over the internet then don't be on the internet.
Ya' facken Pasay

pupandie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There has and always will be haters ...hiding behind their computer screen..

You may have the cutest or the most beautiful video out there.. yet there will be people to bring you down with a few keystrokes if you start believing them

Reactions: oscarflowers