Is having a Niche Channel Absolutely Necessary For Success?

speakpixels

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Is having a niche channel necessary for success? For example my channel is a little all over the place but I wouldn't want to create a second channel. I personally would get bored creating the same types of videos all the time and find having a variety channel is great for my motivation.

Reactions: TIPLY

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I dont think there are any absolutes on YouTube..
It seems that most successful channels do have a narrow niche, but I've also seen a few that are all over the place..
I say, do what you do, and do it as best you can.

sledrunner31

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Depends on the niche. If you're doing something established that people are actively looking for then its not so bad. But something kind of weird or experimental will be tough. I deal with it all the time hardest part is finding the right audience.

Malasia

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally decided to stick with one niche (comedy skits) until my audience grows and then do other niches like story time videos and challenges. If you were to pick one niche not that you have to which one would you choose?

speakpixels

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I personally decided to stick with one niche (comedy skits) until my audience grows and then do other niches like story time videos and challenges. If you were to pick one niche not that you have to which one would you choose?
That's a hard answer. I am a jack of all trades and have so much I want to share. My audience is 90 percent male there aren't many girls making consistent videos that talk about technology, graphic design, business, music production, etc. ( See Can't seem to narrow it down to one thing) but i've been trying to shift my videos to topics that girls can understand and can appreciate that relate to those things.

I love your get to know me video btw lol.

Reactions: Malasia

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Is having a niche channel necessary for success? For example my channel is a little all over the place but I wouldn't want to create a second channel. I personally would get bored creating the same types of videos all the time and find having a variety channel is great for my motivation.
My channel is mostly dogs but I have a lot of random stuff too. I think this attributes to my low subscriber count compared my total views. People tend to subscribe when they expect similar content from people. I am like you though, I don't want to make the same thing every time so I just upload whatever I want. You can always make playlists that have certain types of videos in them, I have tried that.

Reactions: speakpixels

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the strategy / technique advice forum. ^_^

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's best to keep focused in initial growth stages. Otherwise the algo doesn't know what you are about and where to place your videos. The initial stages of growth are controlled solely by the exposure you get from the algo, there is no reason to confuse it. Once you hit 10k, you can experiment with different playlists for different topics. But if you go off topic too much, you'll confuse not only the algo, but your subs.

Reactions: speakpixels

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
In short no.

In long (lol does that phrase even exist) as long as your channel has something attractive about it, whether it be exciting stories, or an engaging personality, etc. niches work because there often isn't much content to be consumed, so people often subscribe Because they want to consume as much as possible.

speakpixels

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Depends on the niche. If you're doing something established that people are actively looking for then its not so bad. But something kind of weird or experimental will be tough. I deal with it all the time hardest part is finding the right audience.
It's best to keep focused in initial growth stages. Otherwise the algo doesn't know what you are about and where to place your videos. The initial stages of growth are controlled solely by the exposure you get from the algo, there is no reason to confuse it. Once you hit 10k, you can experiment with different playlists for different topics. But if you go off topic too much, you'll confuse not only the algo, but your subs.
Thank you! I am going to try being very specialized for a couple of months and see what happens!