Is feminism a naughty word on youtube?

Cristy Ella

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have noticed my last 2 videos (about feminism) have had a really low view count compared to normal. I'm wondering if its due to the subject? It's just usually my videos have more views by now, especially when they have a bunch of comments.

I've heard a lot of the skeptic community say that Atheism is a naughty word. Is the same happening to things like feminism?

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
It used to be a hot topic, but perhaps its been done to death now and people are bored of it?

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have noticed my last 2 videos (about feminism) have had a really low view count compared to normal. I'm wondering if its due to the subject? It's just usually my videos have more views by now, especially when they have a bunch of comments.

I've heard a lot of the skeptic community say that Atheism is a naughty word. Is the same happening to things like feminism?
Think of it this way: If it alienates 50% or more of the viewers you're going to have a hard time. That is why I keep politics and social issues out of my content.

Reactions: Malousak

Cristy Ella

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Think of it this way: If it alienates 50% or more of the viewers you're going to have a hard time. That is why I keep politics and social issues out of my content.
I dont see how it would alienate 50% or more of my viewers. One of my videos was explaining why princess Zelda isn't a damsel in distress.

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Do you mean like, as a title of a video/description/tag which leads to the video being shown less in related because the word may be potentially flagged as controversial?

Or like in general with the audience and seeing said topic?

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I dont see how it would alienate 50% or more of my viewers. One of my videos was explaining why princess Zelda isn't a damsel in distress.
I did not mean you specifically. It is the extreme stances that some channels have in every single one of their videos. Popular as they might be, it is not the kind of content advertisers want to be featured on. I am glad they are cracking down and figuring out which creators are good for YouTube and which are poison. I know I will be safe. Pretty PG over here!

dech

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's dumb that it is a controversial word but people like Rush Limbaugh and Fox news won that war and made words like Feminism and Atheism bad when really there is no reason they are bad. I do a gaming channel and rarely chart those waters but recently I did a video about LGBT characters in a game, I think it was called "oh no a video game character is gay" and kinda yelled at my viewers for disliking a characters just based on sexuality. It got normal views for me, a ton of comments, and way more dislikes than normal but still way more thumbs up. I don't regret doing it because it let my audience know where I stand and I'm happy for that. Even if I lost some subs over it.

I guess you have to make a choice, do you want to avoid things to maybe get more money and views, or would you rather just be honest with up front with everyone?

For me for each sub I lost, I gained a few very loyal ones for being willing to take a stance where I didn't have to. At the end of the day I feel better for my channel for doing that. I'm still going to do 99% video game content but when I want to talk about something else I that I feel I want to I'm not going to back down on doing it because I might loose a few people.

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think there is a whole LOT of content on Feminism on both sides of the argument, so if you continually make videos on the topic its kinda like throwing another one on the pile, except the pile is like a hundred million videos huge. People might click on it just because they are interested, but there are also those people who feel so strongly about their opinion that they feel the need to leave a paragraph of hate in your comment box. Either way, the topic is over done, so unless you are talking about a specific point of feminism, that hasn't been debated often, your video won't do too well.

Malousak

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer
I tend to avoid feminist videos on YouTube most of the time because it is an extremely sensitive subject nowadays because of third wave feminism and the aggression of triggered women. But honestly why do you care so much about a damsel in distress? Some women are and some aren't in video games.