Is Facecam helping?

RuztYDK

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello!

I am really confused here... BIG TIME!

I do gaming videos, some lets play and so on. It looks like that nothing is really happening..
Is a facecam a plus or minus? On my "gaming moments" videos I use facecam and on my lets plays I dont, because the episodes are longer.

What are your opinion? (I know that it depends on the game genre, but try look besides that)

Thanks.

Ripper Roo

Reaction score
I think it depends on Opinion alone some people Like when others use facecams in there videos because it makes them feel like your actually talking to them which you are but a facecam makes it more personal. However some people feel creeped out by facecams. I personally am not a big fan of them but if it works for you and your channel I say go for it.

Jimmajabba

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer
I think facecam is only really necassary for let's plays if either:
A) You talk directly to the audience a lot and make eye contact with the camera. Just look at (i know its a cliche to put this) Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, Pewdiepie. Say what you want about their style, but they connect with they're audiences really well by looking at the camera and really connecting their audience by using their facecam.
B) If you are doing something that the audience want to see. So if you move a lot, are very energetic and are not static when you're sat/stood. This is why people seem to like facecams on horror games, because people like seeing the physical reactions to people being scared. I would say if you are gonna be doing GTA, battlefiled and overwatch videos that its not necessary.

But in all honestly, if you want to have facecam, have facecam. I agree with what Ripper Roo said:
I think it depends on Opinion alone some people Like when others use facecams in there videos because it makes them feel like your actually talking to them which you are but a facecam makes it more personal. However some people feel creeped out by facecams. I personally am not a big fan of them but if it works for you and your channel I say go for it.

Reactions: Ripper Roo

Hazzador

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I mean It could help you out but at the end of the day It isn't a must have piece of equipment

The Bomber Brigade

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It depends. I personally don't use face cam on my gaming videos. It would definitely be good to have on shorter clips when you show more emotion. It's not something that is necessary. I do think that it would help, if you use face cam you can add your face to thumbnails and that would draw more attention. It is not needed though so it's up to you.

AdmUp

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you are reacting to something like a horror game or you are animated then yeah, go for it.
If you are just recording a video playing minecraft or a playthrough etc there's rarely much to react to.

P2Syndrome

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't like facecams for personal reasons but I think that if you play to your facecam, like look at it and do more than just sit there, they can be useful in many situations.

DieuGirl

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Personally, I dont use a face cam. I let my voice dictate the emotion Im feeling (Im not sure how well its working, though) that and my parents are worried about privacy.

Finally, I think it adds a bit of mystery to who I really am.

Lekjih

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My most recent video is the only one with facecam and has by far the most views, 81 compared to the next down at 34~

BrokenGames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think facecams help a lot in horror and adventure games, more "let's play" styled gameplays. I would if I could, I might start using my old iphone 4s and see how that works.

Reactions: Lekjih