Is Facebook Even Worth The Time Anymore?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Several years ago when I created my first few Youtube channels, Facebook was a major way of driving people to view the videos. But over the last 2 years or so and after actually reviewing my data, Facebook has turned into a waste of my time as a source of video traffic. It seems that between Facebook not showing posts as much (unless you PAY), and people just being too lazy to make the effort to click on a video, they just dont bother.

My Youtube channel has a corresponding page on Facebook with just under 4,000 followers. When I share a youtube video to them, Facebook will generally only display it to 1,500 or so of them, and out of those 1,500, less than 10% will watch the video. Sometimes it's as low as 5% .. So, basically, out of 4k users, when I share a video on Facebook, typically it will net me about 100 views on Youtube ... I have two other channels with similar numbers of followers on Facebook, and the stats are pretty much the same.

Up until about two months ago, I used the Facebook page to share photos from our events, videos, schedule events & meet-ups, etc.. But I didnt like being "married" to Facebook - what if they banned my account for some stupid reason? I'd be sunk! So because of that, I moved virtually all my communications to our website where people can sign up on the mailing list for notifications, view our photos, videos, etc.. I've also stopped using my personal Facebook, but that's for other reasons..So now, Facebook is pretty much dead to me.

Have you actually looked at your stats to see if Facebook is doing you any good? You still use Facebook or have you dumped it? (either for your Brand page or personal use?)
Most important: IS FACEBOOK GETTING YOU YOUTUBE VIEWS?

Last edited:

NickDodd

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Other
I'll multi-part-answer your post.

Facebook = garbage = gutters of internet = waste of time electricity and server equipment

But in seriousness, it is one of the main drivers of views for my channel and outside of YouTube I have a cell repair business which almost exclusively gets business from Facebook and otherwise return business from people who found me from Facebook.

One big way I utilize it for growing my channel is by being a part of various youtuber groups, and posting in the groups within guidelines and into their daily video threads. This usually gets about 50% of my views.

I also use messenger to message friends and close acquaintances when I post new videos. This is also has a high CTR.

Otherwise when I post on my personal page I get maybe 1-5 likes, zero shares and no noticeable views.

UserU

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You should be aware that Facebook is a huge competitor to YT and has always been trying to steal their views. If users could watch them on FB, why would they do so on YT?

There have been many tricks played by FB, such as autoplaying them when scrolling, minimizing their exposure, etc...

Reactions: NickDodd

NickDodd

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
You should be aware that Facebook is a huge competitor to YT and has always been trying to steal their views. If users could watch them on FB, why would they do so on YT?

There have been many tricks played by FB, such as autoplaying them when scrolling, minimizing their exposure, etc...
FB definitely has been known to auto play their own videos to boost the stats on videos... a video might have been scrolled past 1000 times and watched 10 times and the views would show as 1010, etc.

But other than posting a link to your YT video on FB, is there a way to embed anywhere?

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Facebook works good for some kind of videos like pranks, music or motivational videos but for other it might not work that well. For me personally I used Facebook's ContentID to catch some people who freebooted my videos there and eventually drive them to like and follow my page and since I value every view I received to my videos, I didn't stop using Facebook at all, but I log in only once per week.

Reactions: NickDodd

NickDodd

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
I log in once every 2-3 weeks. Usually only to promote my new videos these days.

I definitely understand why those prank videos, music, etc get a lot of attention, since in the general usage of FB most people share "viral" type things like this.
Facebook works good for some kind of videos like pranks, music or motivational videos but for other it might not work that well. For me personally I used Facebook's ContentID to catch some people who freebooted my videos there and eventually drive them to like and follow my page and since I value every view I received to my videos, I didn't stop using Facebook at all, but I log in only once per week.

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's not what it used to be that's for sure. 5 years ago you could drive 15k views in an hour to youtube from facebook. Not anymore. Also did you know facebook is now a monetizable platform for video?

CTAC

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have long since abandoned any social networks and almost do not spend time on it. In real life there is something to do.