Is an expensive computer overkill?

SmokeySpace

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would say a mac is perfect for editing, thumbnail making, and editing, it may be a bit overkill but it will last into the future and can deal with more advanced stuff as you move on

Reactions: Pizza Thom

Pizza Thom

Reaction score
Yea okay. I actually decided against an iMac now. However i do not know how to build a pc.
Actually i planned to buy a Lenovo thinkcentre in the small form Factor size.
Do you know if thats okay?

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My old dual core was sluggish editing the 1080p video. then I upgraded to a quad core running 4Ghz and 16Gb of ram and never looked back. It ran and still runs like a top. My next rig will be 2018 or 2019, when I hope to make the switch to 4K video (still going to upload in 2K probably, it gives me more artistic capabilities such as digital camera movement with no loss in quality!).

King Christo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It honestly depends abot the point your life is in. Think about it. If your struggling to pay bills Id say yes. If your secretly rich, go all out. If your a kid who doesnt pay bills but has a job, and are saving up, Id go all out to future proof your pc build.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Yea okay. I actually decided against an iMac now. However i do not know how to build a pc.
Simple things to look for in your case:
Processor: i5 or i7. You don't really need anything more powerful than an i5 if you're not completely into the editing side of things.
RAM/Memory: 8GB or more. 8GB should be fine for you.
Storage: whatever you need. 500GB, 1TB+ or more.
I'm not sure about the specs you're looking at on the Lenovo Thinkcentre but they have different SKUs to choose from each with different specifications.

I personally don't recommend branded systems to my customers if they're planning on future proofing (they can be harder to upgrade & fairly limited even if so) but for business related use, branded is the way to go.

If you do still find you're having trouble editing for whatever reason even on a more powerful processor, you can try a clip replacement trick.

morelikecappuccino

Be Kind: Please Rewind
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
So much more power and value from building your own computer.

Its like expensive legos

An pc with stats matching an Imac/macpro can be built for $700 not to mention you will have more hardrive space on one drive than 4 Imacs combined.

Its your money though :spin:

EDIT::
Didn't see page 2 - my words here are worthless now xD

Last edited:

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
find someone to make one for you. That's what I did.

King Christo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I wouldnt go for the i mac. Go for a nice laptop or build your own pc. If you go for a laptop make sure you get one with a quad core i5 or i7 processor clocked at 3 or more GHZ and 8 GB of ram. Also 1tb of storage and a little bit of ssd is great. If your building your own pc, I suggest doing thourlugh research to see what you really need because a pc can get very expensive very quickly if you dont know what you are doing.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I wouldnt go for the i mac. Go for a nice laptop or build your own pc. If you go for a laptop make sure you get one with a quad core i5 or i7 processor clocked at 3 or more GHZ and 8 GB of ram. Also 1tb of storage and a little bit of ssd is great. If your building your own pc, I suggest doing thourlugh research to see what you really need because a pc can get very expensive very quickly if you dont know what you are doing.
I got my custom PC for 2,600

UserU

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
exactly. I spent 2,600 on a custom PC. has a maximum of 64GB of ram but I currently have 16 and I bought a 8GB video card which is wayyy fast on rendering. I can render 10 min worth of effect in like 3 min compared to an Imac with 2GB of Video card which took 15 min
You should be thanking your processor (CPU). The graphics only help in scrubbing :D