Is an AdWords campaign a good thing for a channel?

dweebie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm just curious to know any of your experiences with AdWords campaigns. I'm not entirely sure if it's something worth doing, or if too many people click away and your money is going to waste. Something I'm considering, but I know in the past (before I started creating content) I never clicked on any ads for other channels.

Daniel H.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Also can I monetize youtube videos that are advertised with adwords?

Lasersgo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think it depends on the content. If your adwords campaign is being advertised on related videos you can get lucky. I had and adwords campaign get me almost 2k views in 3 days on one of my videos, and that's a lot of views for me!

dweebie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think it depends on the content. If your adwords campaign is being advertised on related videos you can get lucky. I had and adwords campaign get me almost 2k views in 3 days on one of my videos, and that's a lot of views for me!
Did you see any lasting effects though? Did your sub count go up? If it's a short lived one-off I'm more reluctant to go that route.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I attribute targeted Adwords campaigns as one of the success factors to helping our channel grow. There's a learning curve. It will cost. To have lasting impacts, we're also talking a decent sized advertising budget. Think around the $2k+/month as an absolute minimum these days. More likely $3-$5k/month. Of course depends on your vertical and what your competitors are doing. The best way to grow has and will always be organic traffic, but sometimes a channel needs a boost to get traction. Before spending any dollars, I recommend your content and all associated factors be spot on. As in 100% spot on. Otherwise you'll just bleed $$.

odabaco

I've Got It
Reaction score
I had some use of adwords when I launched a friend's channel and then my own. You can reach people instantly, but it could be someone who is curious of the ad but has no interest in your video contents. So the ad must be carefully worded.

There is plenty of ebooks and videos that for free will give you good advice about the ad campaign settings.

Examples are being able to limit the amount of times a single person will see your ad in a day and once they've clicked they don't see it again. This can help you to get a more steady amount of views over a longer period, as it's very easy to burn through your budget in minutes.

Also target to geographic areas, limit the times your ads are shown, and to what demographics.

Then there's the keywords you target, and things like interests etc.

A good setting too is the one where you can input channels to limit your ad to show up on, so for example my ads could just show up on videos by jangbricks for example, who is the biggest LEGO set review related channel.

This means you can ensure only people who should be interested in your content are being targeted.

Even with all of this, I've found the subscribers I gained from advertising are not very motivated to watch or comment, so again, my targeting might not have been perfect.

All stuff to think about. Best of luck! :)

WoodenRailwayStudio

Youtube - for fun and profit!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm just curious to know any of your experiences with AdWords campaigns. I'm not entirely sure if it's something worth doing, or if too many people click away and your money is going to waste. Something I'm considering, but I know in the past (before I started creating content) I never clicked on any ads for other channels.
Really depends on what your channel is about and if you can create keywords that will drive the right audience to your videos. If you a kid's channel as an example and you can use keywords that are frequently used by children or parents to find specific videos, adwords works great. My son gets a very good number of subscribers to his channels. Make sure you urge your viewers to comment about your videos and interact with them. They will quickly become subscribers.