Is a song remix considered Fair Use?

LKA

Reaction score
My friend made a remix for a copyrighted song and I was wondering if he could monetize it, thanks.

Restart

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
uhh no? Because allowing to remix something needs a licence of its own. Some content creators might allow their users to use their stuffs but not to edit them in anyway. Fair use is another story though.
Attribution
This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered. Recommended for maximum dissemination and use of licensed materials.
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs
This license is the most restrictive of our six main licenses, only allowing others to download your works and share them with others as long as they credit you, but they can’t change them in any way or use them commercially.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Remix cases have gone through before with a successful fair use defense. The issue is primarily relating to the amount of original content used. If you do a mostly original song, but mix in a particular word or phrase from licensed music, it could well be considered fair use due to the low amount of content used. If you're just laying dubstep over top of the original song, that would be much less likely to be successful.

Fair use isn't a set of strict rules that are easy to determine and it doesn't apply to private platforms. It is a legal defense in the case where you get sued by the content owner.

Macca

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Some people have gotten away with it where as others haven't, it is a risky and thin line to cross.