Is 6 Months too long for a YT break?

Chipface12

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I've wanted to get back into it.

As you could read from the title, I've taken basically a 6 and nearly 7 month break from YouTube.

Why?

Well I never wanted to take this long of a break... I originally wanted to take a break for around a month while I regain motivation, enthusiasm and a productive work ethic to give my channel a great shot again.

Well, that clearly didn't happen. But I'm seeking some advice from you all. Is 6 months too long for a break from YouTube?

I feel like it is, but I don't want to start a new channel, I had a decent run until I decided to take this break.

So what should I do? I'd love to get back into YouTube again, I'm ready to dedicate more time to it and I'm ready to give it the proper go I should have when I started last year.

In terms of videos, should I do a "where have I been" kind of video? I've made a few of these, each I have scrapped entirely. I just don't know what to do.

So if any of you have any advice for getting back into YouTube and such, I would love to hear all of your advice!

Thanks,

Chipface

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a channel that I take big breaks from but upload from time to time. Considering the channel has 5000 subs I dont get many views to start. But SEO lifts the numbers eventually.
That channel continues with the rough monthly views/revenue/new subs as always though

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I'd say as long as your subs havent tanked in the mean time that you should probably be fine...just make sure you hit the ground running with consistent and quality uploads and your old audience should just pick up where you left off...getting the ball rolling on getting your subs up might be a bit of a pain...but eh...it depends on how tethered you are to subs and views, if your not particularly bothered as long as SOMEONE is watching then you should be totally fine :)

Chipface12

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks both of you, I appreciate that, I'll take all of it into consideration!

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Breaks in content can be detrimental, but the thing I've noticed more often is that people tend to take breaks as almost trial runs for quitting YouTube. There are so many channels who grind out content for a certain amount of time, and then they'll take a short break, then a longer one, then a lot of apologies for being away and promises to make more content, and it's a pattern which almost always winds up with the channel going silent, or basically dead but with the occasional update.

I'd make sure you're committed to coming back and resist the temptation to take another break anytime remotely soon, just to keep away from that pattern.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Breaks in content can be detrimental, but the thing I've noticed more often is that people tend to take breaks as almost trial runs for quitting YouTube. There are so many channels who grind out content for a certain amount of time, and then they'll take a short break, then a longer one, then a lot of apologies for being away and promises to make more content, and it's a pattern which almost always winds up with the channel going silent, or basically dead but with the occasional update.

I'd make sure you're committed to coming back and resist the temptation to take another break anytime remotely soon, just to keep away from that pattern.
^
This is actually pretty accurate

I would also add that if you do like a break try and schedule them in where possible rather than just going quiet with no explanation or idea when you'll be coming back. at the moment I run a 16 week upload schedule that makes up a season of my show. typically that'll consist of 16-17 videos run over 15 weeks with the 16th week being a "Break week" during that time at most i'll pop up an update video, a new channel trailer or something branding related but I take that time to regroup, refocus and get started on my next season. Admittedly this hasnt run 100% smoothly in practice (My first season had 12 episodes then a weeks break my current season has 18 episodes then a break) but I try and keep it as close to schedule as possible and I always make sure to let my audience know this is the case :)

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
it takes me that long to post the next video anyway. I'm sure you can being your channel back to life in no time :) make sure you address the break in your next video

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Its probably more detrimental if you take a really long break and lose interest completely to reupload again.
I'm going through a break phase lately -was doing weekly uploads, then fortnightly - my lastest break is now 3 weeks.....

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

6 months is a long time if your audience weren't made aware that you were taking that break. All you can do is start uploading again but yeah you will have a lot of inactive subs.

Reactions: AllofTheAbove

Skyler Henricks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
6 Months is a long time!! I'm doing daily uploads right now and almost missed a day and in my mind that would be like 6 months lol but for real that is a long time and I would definitely go with a where have I been video and just be honest and upfront with your viewers and as long as you didn't lose all your subs hopefully you'll be ok!! Good luck with the reboot!!