intro

BugZIx

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Is having an intro for a gaming channel a good idea or not?Cause ive been thinking of getting rid of my cringy intro

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It depends on what you mean by an intro. If you mean your username 3D Animated to spin around and flip with dubstep music in the background, no, it's not a good idea. If you mean welcoming your viewers to the video with a quick bit at the beginning, then yeah, go for it! If you mean over-editing one of your clips in your video to be funny or entertaining and serve as an intro to the video, then that's what I do, and if your content fits, then it will do wonders to your audience retention. For me, I doubled my average audience retention by doing it, so it was a definite success and I'm planning on doing more like it.

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you feel you have a cringy intro then you might want to remove it.
I use an intro but its about 3 seconds long only and I intend to continue using it.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
An intro can be fine... I had one once but found out that one of my videos actually worked much better so i got rid of my intro.. If you want an intro I suggest you keep it short maybe half a minute or a minute, but it can be a tricky one to keep it that short.. I have seen some good intros out there though:):up2:

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I call them viewer repellants. The only people that like intro's are the people that make them. It's a noob move and takes a long time to break the habit. You may see your watch time graph take a heavy dive at the start of your videos? (Go check!) Thats people clicking the 'X' because you didn't deliver what you promised in the video title.. instead you faffed about (not u personally- just generalising) with -from their perspective nonsense and horse :poop:. Watch some of the biggest channels in your field and you'll see they likely don't use intros. For me its probably Unbox Therapy or I also like ijustine.. they are straight into the 'content' (heard that b4?.. it takes a while to register before people get it..content content content) and delivering immediately. I went back and edited some of my first ever uploads and cut the cheese intros and immediate saw my watchtime percentage grow significantly.[DOUBLEPOST=1547842484,1547842249][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you want an intro I suggest you keep it short maybe half a minute or a minute
Holy ****.. !!half a minute??? Unless your screening the first manned landing on Mars your going to loose 80%? of your audience during that time!!!!!!!!!

Frontier Forge

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've actually been thinking about ditching my intro as well. Cut the fat and get right into the meat and potatoes. See if it helps my audience retention

Reactions: UhoohExtra