Intro or no intro?

davidsfocus

Reaction score
a short description I guess.
ain't that the video's title's role?
:p
:bounce: Maybe its the video marketer in me. Some people still want to make sure they are in the right place so that is why I let them know they are in the right place by having a clear title, thumbnail and tell them.

Reactions: videoeditgr

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Maybe its the video marketer in me
if I am allowed to speak sort of more seriously on my (subjective) argument.
here is an example, you have a nice tutorial on applying attributes from one to other clips in FCPX
I didn't really knew the function as I am mostly a Pr user. So I had to watch a little bit of it.

What I saw? an intro, a Fuji XT2, flashing images that I didn;t have the time to appreciate, then
an open project, then a new project from scratch, some color correction and finally in minute 3.00 *something
I got what I wanted to learn. Also notice that I had audio down and used auto subtitiles
as long as other audio already dominated the speakers.
...and then boom, run out of the tutorial to write down to check it
tomorrow when a mac will be available to me.
(yup, I still use paper and pencil to write down stuff...)

I mean a cool intro and whatever not mentioned in title or description
may be not of interest to a viewer whatever the value and beauty they contain.

...guess you are a way better fine art photographer and tutor than a video marketer :) :p

CWA

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think some intros are cool. Like a coming attraction at the movies. :).

CoenGibson

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A while back I started to add a short (2-3 second) intro to my videos, but someone pointed out to me that I shouldn't do that. Now I have started to doubt myself, what do you guys think? (the video in my signature does not have that intro).
i think if u want to have an intro to your own videos then have an intro to your videos, if you start creating content that is fuelled by others opinions your videos wont be "your" videos anymore. Criticism can create guidelines, but they are just guidelines, not rules. do what ever you envision for your videos!

Curiosity Ridge

I make Videos
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
My intros only come after a "grabber paragraph" to catch my viewers attention, and even then the intro is no longer than 5 seconds.

Atemporality

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have less than 10 second intro, which I made myself, and I'm sorta proud of it lol.

SlugoGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I just changed the format of my videos with my most recent one. I used to do intro, content. Now I do hook (something funny or interesting to catch the viewers attention), intro, content.

Xapok

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've been youtubing for five years now and back in 2011 intros were a massive thing, everyone had them and they would go on for about 20 seconds. Nowadays not many people have them but if you do just stick to a three second or less thing. It's important that the video starts with the hook, line and sinker rather than a long intro.
Hey Ben,
Hook, line and sinker.. not sure what you mean exactly but I guess I do. Any example ? ... before I end up asking infos in a fishing gear store ;)
I'm going to have a look at your videos right now, it worked.
Xavier

antonio33333

Reaction score
I would not recommend intro. Yeah I know it can look cool and some of you may think how they are necessary and all of that stuff.
I work in marketing and I'm analytics freak. Videos without an intro have much better average percentage watched and all of those statistics that Youtube reward with promoting your videos.
Best way to blow up on Youtube is by having high click through rate and watch time/apw. Intros without any purpose are not making any sense!
EXPECIALLY if you are entertainment based channel! If you're something like Derral Eves kind of channel I think few seconds long intro will not hurt you.
But something that alot of small channels do wrong is they talk and talk and talk in the beginning and they lose big percentage of viewers because of that. You know what is really funny? They do stuff like that all the time, in literally every video.
No people don't want to listen your talk about subscribing and hitting bell notification, giving a big thumbs up and all of those things that many youtubers are saying. You lose viewers because of that and it will hurt your channel.

SHORT ANSWER : Just start with a freaking video without rambling to much!

Reactions: Zaeehh

SensualC4

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
A while back I started to add a short (2-3 second) intro to my videos, but someone pointed out to me that I shouldn't do that. Now I have started to doubt myself, what do you guys think? (the video in my signature does not have that intro).
Always have an intro whether it's a video/3d simple or complicated. It builds a relationship with the viewers the come to think of you videos when they here it or see it. (Funny story a friend of my and long time subscribe shot me a message with a video that had the same song in it. It ofc was a youtube free song, but he imidiately thought of my intro when he heard it.)

Same goes with a catch phrase(depending what you do and if it fits) but always have an intro of some short no longer than 3-7sec.(catch phrase could also be the intro(ie pewd or phillid)